Relationships at uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So i was talking to my friends about uni recently (hopefully going in september all going well) and we started talking about dating at uni. Some of them are really looking forward to spending time away from home so they can date without parents intervening. Personally, I'm not really interested in that and said so. My friends looked at me really weirdly like I said something odd. Went home and asked my mum and she said it was a really strange thing to say? I'm super confused, i don't see anything wrong with not wanting to date. Obviously if I did meet someone i liked i would but don't see the point of dating just to 'gain the experience'. Have I missed something here?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing wrong with not dating at uni.
Porridge9280
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
keep it kosher
PotatoFruit
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Dating is haram
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So i was talking to my friends about uni recently (hopefully going in september all going well) and we started talking about dating at uni. Some of them are really looking forward to spending time away from home so they can date without parents intervening. Personally, I'm not really interested in that and said so. My friends looked at me really weirdly like I said something odd. Went home and asked my mum and she said it was a really strange thing to say? I'm super confused, i don't see anything wrong with not wanting to date. Obviously if I did meet someone i liked i would but don't see the point of dating just to 'gain the experience'. Have I missed something here?
Hiya,

I wouldn't say you've missed anything at all. You have your preference and thoughts on the matter and thats okay. I would say just let life happen and see where it takes you. You don't have to date anyone at university, there is no rule about this!

Good luck when you start uni, i'm sure you'll really enjoy it

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Ambassador
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey there,

Please don't let this occupy your thoughts. Your friends obviously have very different priorities and personal goals to you, and the fact that you don't share those exact same ones is not abnormal in the slightest. It's quite upsetting to hear that they've almost made you feel like an outcast merely because you're looking forward to other parts of university life much more than just being able to date people more freely.

Some people are just brought up in environments where it's expected that everyone dates, get into relationships and settle down. University is so much more than that, the freedom it brings goes far beyond just being able to have more time to spend with a significant other.

I hope this helps!
-Quinn
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey there,

Please don't let this occupy your thoughts. Your friends obviously have very different priorities and personal goals to you, and the fact that you don't share those exact same ones is not abnormal in the slightest. It's quite upsetting to hear that they've almost made you feel like an outcast merely because you're looking forward to other parts of university life much more than just being able to date people more freely.

Some people are just brought up in environments where it's expected that everyone dates, get into relationships and settle down. University is so much more than that, the freedom it brings goes far beyond just being able to have more time to spend with a significant other.

I hope this helps!
-Quinn
Wouldn't go to the extreme of saying they were "outcast" - they literally just got a few bemused looks.
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PotatoFruit)
Dating is haram
They're probably not muslim, so it doesn't matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
6.97%
October 2021 (116)
47.54%
November 2021 (24)
9.84%
December 2021 (32)
13.11%
January 2021 (21)
8.61%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.66%