Tips for a uni drop out going back to uni (2 academic years later)

Watch
Jazzmac
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi! I dropped out of Derby University in 2020 due to mental health reasons, as well as not enjoying my course (Youth Work) due to covid restrictions.
I have recently reapplied to study closer to home at York St John University and will be doing a similar course. I will be 20 when I return, and will most likely be part way through seeking my ADHD diagnosis.

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips for being a slightly older student at university/ tips for a returning student after having dropped out previously?

Thanks in advance xx
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
I did the same for the same reasons, and nobody would have noticed the age difference if I hadn't told them, so I wouldn't worry about that! I just feel a bit more mature and prepared this time, which is certainly a good thing on a personal level. I think of the first attempt as somewhat of a warmup or a trial run, and now I'm ready to actually do my best and enjoy a degree It's a good opportunity to remember what worked well last time, and what went wrong so you know what to avoid where you can, and to seek help when you need it.
Last edited by Interea; 6 days ago
Jazzmac
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Interea)
I did the same for the same reasons, and nobody would have noticed the age difference if I hadn't told them, so I wouldn't worry about that! I just feel a bit more mature and prepared this time, which is certainly a good thing on a personal level. I think of the first attempt as somewhat of a warmup or a trial run, and now I'm ready to actually do my best and enjoy a degree It's a good opportunity to remember what worked well last time, and what went wrong so you know what to avoid where you can, and to seek help when you need it.
Hi! This was super helpful thank you so much for your response. I’ve been looking at things from a similar perspective so it’s nice to know someone else has been in the same boat x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads