The Student Room Group

UCAS application... Urgent help please!!

So I'm currently in my first year of uni but I don't like it here and my mental health took a massive dive just before I was due to start my course when a v close family member passed away so obviously I had the worst start to university possible and haven't been doing well academically. I eventually just gave up when final coursework assignments came around last month.

I'm wanting to drop out here and apply to start all over again at a different university in Sept because I know that I have high potential that I need to use and I do really want this degree.

Obviously the UCAS deadline is nearing & I've written most of my personal statement but I'm stuck on one thing. How on earth do I include that I dropped out of my first year at a University and explain why?

I think I do have to include it because I'm quite sure the universities will see it on my 'record' and will wonder why I didn't explain it. Really worried they'll see it as a red flag not to let me on to their course. I'm not 100% sure they'll know about it though, can someone correct me?

I don't really want to include anything about mental health issues as reasoning for the dropping out because I don't want to seem like a sob story & also don't think that sells me at all.

ALSO- very stuck on references? I can't really use my old college tutor because I haven't seen him since I was 17 (I'm nearly 20 now) and my ex work manager never answers me. My current uni tutor would probably laugh in my face if I asked him, due to my lack of effort, work, attendance etc on top of the fact that I'm dropping out of his course.

I'm so stuck and any advice would be really really appreciated. I've been really stressed and lost about this and really just want a fresh start somewhere new.
(edited 2 years ago)
1) Due to the impact of a family bereavement I decided to leave Uni ..... I now wish to restart my degree afresh ......

2) Most schools keep a referenece on file and are happy to help. You need to get in touch with them fast given the lack of time left.
Original post by lil_hellgirl
So I'm currently in my first year of uni but I don't like it here and my mental health took a massive dive just before I was due to start my course when a v close family member passed away so obviously I had the worst start to university possible and haven't been doing well academically. I eventually just gave up when final coursework assignments came around last month.

I'm wanting to drop out here and apply to start all over again at a different university in Sept because I know that I have high potential that I need to use and I do really want this degree.

Obviously the UCAS deadline is nearing & I've written most of my personal statement but I'm stuck on one thing. How on earth do I include that I dropped out of my first year at a University and explain why?

I think I do have to include it because I'm quite sure the universities will see it on my 'record' and will wonder why I didn't explain it. Really worried they'll see it as a red flag not to let me on to their course. I'm not 100% sure they'll know about it though, can someone correct me?

I don't really want to include anything about mental health issues as reasoning for the dropping out because I don't want to seem like a sob story & also don't think that sells me at all.

ALSO- very stuck on references? I can't really use my old college tutor because I haven't seen him since I was 17 (I'm nearly 20 now) and my ex work manager never answers me. My current uni tutor would probably laugh in my face if I asked him, due to my lack of effort, work, attendance etc on top of the fact that I'm dropping out of his course.

I'm so stuck and any advice would be really really appreciated. I've been really stressed and lost about this and really just want a fresh start somewhere new.

You don’t have to mention it in your PS

You DO have to list your attendance at university in your education history. That’s where they’ll see it.
A student starting and leaving a course elsewhere isn’t a red flag - it’s common!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending