english revison

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
anyone know how to revise for english literature (a level) i have notes and everything i just don’t know how to utilise them and get them into my head like how do u genuinely do that… theres so much content and i’m scared because the question could be on any theme and then i have to go through the book to find a quote which is time consuming. i just feel like english literature is such a difficult and different subject to revise for
Jazzmac
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Create a sheet or resource with all of the covered themes. And then for each theme find quotes and note them down. Have 2 copies of each novel. Make quizlets for quotes and the character than said them (for each theme) or alternatively make flash cards. Also ask your teacher how to revise because there are so many other ways, this is just how I remember revising for a level English lit x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jazzmac)
Create a sheet or resource with all of the covered themes. And then for each theme find quotes and note them down. Have 2 copies of each novel. Make quizlets for quotes and the character than said them (for each theme) or alternatively make flash cards. Also ask your teacher how to revise because there are so many other ways, this is just how I remember revising for a level English lit x
thanks that’s useful, is there any specific way u might have revised differently to prose poetry or drama or is it just all the same
chatterparty
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
I found it useful to make essay plans for all the main themes in bullet point form, collecting quotes for each one and just reading over them to remember the info. Themes generally overlap so gives you good preparation for any questions.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by chatterparty)
I found it useful to make essay plans for all the main themes in bullet point form, collecting quotes for each one and just reading over them to remember the info. Themes generally overlap so gives you good preparation for any questions.
how many themes would you say its best to do?
CurlyyMM
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
how many themes would you say its best to do?
Depends on the text, like if you're reading a whole poetry anthology there might be many widely varied themes, but if you're reading one play there's likely to be fewer more interconnected themes.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CurlyyMM)
Depends on the text, like if you're reading a whole poetry anthology there might be many widely varied themes, but if you're reading one play there's likely to be fewer more interconnected themes.
yeah i see what you mean there, one of my drama questions is on monday and im trying to make themed mindmaps with quotes but i realise i spend a lot of time creating one and i dont know how many i should make
Anonymous #1
bumpppp urgent
Anonymous #1
Also does anyone know how i can revise effectively with notes? I don’t think i have enough time to make mindmaps as i have other exams too but I do have notes in my folder that I’ve made before but I’m not sure how to use them
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Also does anyone know how i can revise effectively with notes? I don’t think i have enough time to make mindmaps as i have other exams too but I do have notes in my folder that I’ve made before but I’m not sure how to use them
Don’t bother doing that. Write essays and send them to your teacher to mark. Look at the feedback, write another essay (not the same one) on a different question and resend to your teacher. Repeat.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Don’t bother doing that. Write essays and send them to your teacher to mark. Look at the feedback, write another essay (not the same one) on a different question and resend to your teacher. Repeat.
I go to 2 different schools because they’re joined together or something and I don’t see my English teacher till the day of my exam LOL so that’s a bit hard
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I go to 2 different schools because they’re joined together or something and I don’t see my English teacher till the day of my exam LOL so that’s a bit hard
Email them your essay?
Anonymous #1
Email them your essay?
He takes forever to reply lol I’ve made some essay plans already so do you think i should just go over them and make it stick in my head?
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
He takes forever to reply lol I’ve made some essay plans already so do you think i should just go over them and make it stick in my head?
Oh, that’s annoying. Perhaps, send it to him anyway.

Yes, that should work.

What text do you study?
Anonymous #1
Oh, that’s annoying. Perhaps, send it to him anyway.

Yes, that should work.

What text do you study?
A streetcar named desire, othello for drama. Never let me go and Frankenstein for prose and Christina Rossetti and poems of the decade for poetry
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
A streetcar named desire, othello for drama. Never let me go and Frankenstein for prose and Christina Rossetti and poems of the decade for poetry
Ah, okay! Definitely focus on the texts you are less confident on.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
29.58%
As I expected (22)
30.99%
Harder (25)
35.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads