Question for people who are at uni...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I feel like this is gonna be long, sorry in advance. I bet no one answers after all of this lmao.

So idk if I'm being dumb but how do you guys travel to go to the shops/town centre etc. And PSA I obviously have to state beforehand I can't walk for long periods of time due to a disability before people call me lazy.

I'm currently researching unis and I'm finding it really hard to narrow them down. As I'm the type of weird human who has to research absolutely e v e r y t h i n g, I'm literally comparing everything inc. time it takes to walk to different shops/restaurants. All of the unis I've been looking at, and it's quite a lot rn, are miles away from the town centre.

E.g.

Uni of Essex (Colchester campus) - 15 min walk to the nearest Tescos, and all other supermarkets are miles away. McDonalds, Spoons, Nandos etc. all a 10 min DRIVE, so couldn't really walk.

Loughborough uni - 15-20 min walk to nearest supermarkets, 15 min walk to food shops.

Uni of Southampton - Nearest supermarket is a Sainsburys which is 10 min walk. McDonalds 15 min walk. Other food places you need to drive.

Now I'm not saying 10-20 min walks are super long, I can manage them I'll just be in pain lol. I just wouldn't wanna go for example, 15 min walk to the shops in the morning, lug all my shopping back for 15 mins. Go out for lunch 20 mins down the road for an hour, 20 mins walk back. Night out 30 mins down the road. Taxi back obviously. I'm more confused about how people go shopping then get all their bags of stuff back to their uni.

Idk if I'm being stupid but do people get Ubers or something whenever they want to go to Tescos? I can understand group Ubers if you wanna go for a night out or for a meal at Nandos or whatever, but all the unis I'm looking at wouldn't allow me to go grab a quick McDonalds or anything because I'd be walking for 30 mins there and back. Or are there bus services? Doesn't that cost a lot of money?

Pls don't call me dumb I know I am, I just stress about stupid things. It's annoying unis don't let you bring your car because then I wouldn't have a problem lol.

Or does anyone know of any unis that have really good locations in terms of shops and food places? The only one I know of at the moment is Stockbridge Halls at Chichester, which literally has that shopping place on its doorstep. Although it's like a 25 min walk to campus which I wouldn't wanna do.

Also I should probably mention I'm not really 100% comfortable with Ubers as I had a bad experience with one (I am female). Same with public transport. But I could deal with that.

So yeah TLDR how do people travel at uni to go shops and stuff ;(
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Buses.
iQuestionNotAnsa
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
bus but why dont you just get your stuff delivered to you
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Also plenty of universities do let you bring your car.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you considered city universities? Otherwise I normally walk or take the bus if necessary.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Town centre was only a few minutes walk away from my main uni building
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I just walked and carried my shopping back. As someone above has suggested, you could just organise a home delivery if walking is a problem - would cost less than getting a bus.

As for going out for lunch and then going out in the evening - I couldn't afford such luxuries as a student.
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Loads of unis let you have a car, I did when at Loughborough, although there was a limit to campus parking. But if you have a recognised disability this can be got round. Afterwards if you no longer live in halls it's up to you whether you have a car or not. As for shopping most people walk but you can always get it delivered.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Buses.
Do they cost normal bus rates at uni or do unis do free bus services? Sorry I don't really take buses Idk what you do on them haha.
Anonymous #1
Also plenty of universities do let you bring your car.
Which ones?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Town centre was only a few minutes walk away from my main uni building
What uni are you at if you don't mind me asking? Need ideas lol
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
I just walked and carried my shopping back. As someone above has suggested, you could just organise a home delivery if walking is a problem - would cost less than getting a bus.

As for going out for lunch and then going out in the evening - I couldn't afford such luxuries as a student.
With a delivery do you think they'd just leave all the bags in reception (? idk) then you have to carry them all upstairs? I've never really thought about how uni deliveries work lol
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Loads of unis let you have a car, I did when at Loughborough, although there was a limit to campus parking. But if you have a recognised disability this can be got round. Afterwards if you no longer live in halls it's up to you whether you have a car or not. As for shopping most people walk but you can always get it delivered.
Do they do parking at the accomodations? I was looking at Claudia Parsons which I don't think there is any but not sure but I think at The Holt there is loads but idk if that's free or not lol
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Do they cost normal bus rates at uni or do unis do free bus services? Sorry I don't really take buses Idk what you do on them haha.
Lol at free bus services No, that is not a thing. I think some unis do free shuttles between different campuses but you will have to pay for the bus otherwise. There are student rates in some cities so worth checking if that is an option.
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
With a delivery do you think they'd just leave all the bags in reception (? idk) then you have to carry them all upstairs? I've never really thought about how uni deliveries work lol
No idea I'm afraid. I live in a flat and when I've had deliveries, they've brought it up the stairs to my door, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same in student accommodation.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not a student anymore but I went to Suffolk for my undergrad.

Should also say, I actually lived at home during my undergrad so didn't need to go food shop.
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I can't remember for all of them but E.R did and if not there was the library car park. Get in touch with the disability support team and ask what can be arranged.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
No, they are not free. They're not university buses, they're just normal buses. You do get a student discount on bus passes though.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Which ones?
I'm actually pretty sure all of them do. Not sure where you got the idea you weren't allowed cars at uni.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Sorry didn't mean to quote the "which uni are you at" post that was an accident
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%