Question for people who are at uni...

Watch
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Also plenty of universities do let you bring your car.
Not if you are in hall.
Muttley79
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
I feel like this is gonna be long, sorry in advance. I bet no one answers after all of this lmao.

So idk if I'm being dumb but how do you guys travel to go to the shops/town centre etc. And PSA I obviously have to state beforehand I can't walk for long periods of time due to a disability before people call me lazy.

I'm currently researching unis and I'm finding it really hard to narrow them down. As I'm the type of weird human who has to research absolutely e v e r y t h i n g, I'm literally comparing everything inc. time it takes to walk to different shops/restaurants. All of the unis I've been looking at, and it's quite a lot rn, are miles away from the town centre.

E.g.

Uni of Essex (Colchester campus) - 15 min walk to the nearest Tescos, and all other supermarkets are miles away. McDonalds, Spoons, Nandos etc. all a 10 min DRIVE, so couldn't really walk.

Loughborough uni - 15-20 min walk to nearest supermarkets, 15 min walk to food shops.

Uni of Southampton - Nearest supermarket is a Sainsburys which is 10 min walk. McDonalds 15 min walk. Other food places you need to drive.

Now I'm not saying 10-20 min walks are super long, I can manage them I'll just be in pain lol. I just wouldn't wanna go for example, 15 min walk to the shops in the morning, lug all my shopping back for 15 mins. Go out for lunch 20 mins down the road for an hour, 20 mins walk back. Night out 30 mins down the road. Taxi back obviously. I'm more confused about how people go shopping then get all their bags of stuff back to their uni.

Idk if I'm being stupid but do people get Ubers or something whenever they want to go to Tescos? I can understand group Ubers if you wanna go for a night out or for a meal at Nandos or whatever, but all the unis I'm looking at wouldn't allow me to go grab a quick McDonalds or anything because I'd be walking for 30 mins there and back. Or are there bus services? Doesn't that cost a lot of money?

Pls don't call me dumb I know I am, I just stress about stupid things. It's annoying unis don't let you bring your car because then I wouldn't have a problem lol.

Or does anyone know of any unis that have really good locations in terms of shops and food places? The only one I know of at the moment is Stockbridge Halls at Chichester, which literally has that shopping place on its doorstep. Although it's like a 25 min walk to campus which I wouldn't wanna do.

Also I should probably mention I'm not really 100% comfortable with Ubers as I had a bad experience with one (I am female). Same with public transport. But I could deal with that.

So yeah TLDR how do people travel at uni to go shops and stuff ;(
Is your walking ssue enough to get DSA? You might be entitled to funding for taxis.

Some unis have a supermarket on the campus. Food can be delivered as well.

Which degree?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Not if you are in hall.
My uni has free parking for people living in the main halls.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 days ago
Not if you are in hall.
A lot of student halls have car parks for student cars. At a cost though, obviously.
Nobody2u
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by black tea)
Lol at free bus services No, that is not a thing. I think some unis do free shuttles between different campuses but you will have to pay for the bus otherwise. There are student rates in some cities so worth checking if that is an option.
Not necessarily.Bristol halls provide a free bus pass for the first year I've heard.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Either they walk or get the bus. Nobody uses an Uber or gets a Taxi to go to the shops
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
A lot of student halls have car parks for student cars. At a cost though, obviously.
Many ban you from bringing a car though so you need to check
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
My uni has free parking for people living in the main halls.
Not true at all unis - som ban cars completely for first years in hall.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Lol at free bus services No, that is not a thing. I think some unis do free shuttles between different campuses but you will have to pay for the bus otherwise. There are student rates in some cities so worth checking if that is an option.
It is e.g. at Oxford Brookes amongst others
black tea
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Not necessarily.Bristol halls provide a free bus pass for the first year I've heard.
Oh really? That's cool! Lucky Bristol students!
black tea
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Not true at all unis - som ban cars completely for first years in hall.
I know it's not, but OP's halls may allow them to have a car so it's worth enquiring about it, especially considering they have a disability that affects their mobility.
Nobody2u
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Oh really? That's cool! Lucky Bristol students!
But cars are banned !( unless legitimate reason) Can't have it all ways😂
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
You should contact unis disability support centre to ask about this sort of thing, and as Muttley said you could be entitled to DSA. Most people will walk or get the bus around I expect.
black tea
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
But cars are banned !( unless legitimate reason) Can't have it all ways😂
Meh, I'd rather have a free bus, personally!
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I know it's not, but OP's halls may allow them to have a car so it's worth enquiring about it, especially considering they have a disability that affects their mobility.
It would need to be a blue badge though and OP doesn't mention having one.
black tea
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
It would need to be a blue badge though and OP doesn't mention having one.
Not if their accommodation offers parking to everyone
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Not if their accommodation offers parking to everyone
How many unis offer that free in halls?
black tea
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
How many unis offer that free in halls?
My old uni does
Last edited by black tea; 6 days ago
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
My old uni does
So one and it may not even offer the degree the OP wants!

Anyway you said 'I know it's not, but OP's halls may allow them to have a car so it's worth enquiring about it, especially considering they have a disability that affects their mobility' - it would need to be a blue badge to qualify.
black tea
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
So one and it may not even offer the degree the OP wants!

Anyway you said 'I know it's not, but OP's halls may allow them to have a car so it's worth enquiring about it, especially considering they have a disability that affects their mobility' - it would need to be a blue badge to qualify.
Yes, but if one does, so might others.

The bit about their disability was simply to say they would have more of a reason to enquire about the option of parking than someone without a disability, not to say that they qualify for blue badge parking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (138)
26.04%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.3%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads