The Student Room Group

Wisdom tooth

Every time I go to bite down, my top back tooth bites down onto my gum. I believe it’s because my wisdom is in the way. It hurts and it feeling like my gum is coming away from my tooth when I do this. I’m pretty sure I mentioned it to my dentist last time, but I don’t remember them saying much about it. What should I do? Has anyone experienced this? I know I should speak to the dentist about it again really.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Every time I go to bite down, my top back tooth bites down onto my gum. I believe it’s because my wisdom is in the way. It hurts and it feeling like my gum is coming away from my tooth when I do this. I’m pretty sure I mentioned it to my dentist last time, but I don’t remember them saying much about it. What should I do? Has anyone experienced this? I know I should speak to the dentist about it again really.

I haven't had the same problem, but did have something similar after the 'bite' from a filling wasn't properly moulded out. It caused no end of aggravation and I bit my cheek so many times for such a few mm of amalgam - and the pain when I bit my cheek was something else.

You could always try another dentist if you feel you are getting nowhere or if you have any funds get a quick private dental appointment (do your research well to find better dentists) They can always give you a rough idea of cost for consultation before you sit in the chair.

Good luck and hope you find a fix soon.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
I haven't had the same problem, but did have something similar after the 'bite' from a filling wasn't properly moulded out. It caused no end of aggravation and I bit my cheek so many times for such a few mm of amalgam - and the pain when I bit my cheek was something else.

You could always try another dentist if you feel you are getting nowhere or if you have any funds get a quick private dental appointment (do your research well to find better dentists) They can always give you a rough idea of cost for consultation before you sit in the chair.

Good luck and hope you find a fix soon.

Ah that does sound painful. Is it ok now? I might try another dentist actually. I thought my gum was just swollen but it’s been happening for a while now. I think it’s my wisdom tooth. Thank you!
Reply 3
I'm ok now thank you - another dentist pulled the tooth out! Sheer bliss (never thought I would say that)

Erupting wisdom teeth - Bonjela or Anbesol or Oragel (any chemist for good numbing gels)

I hope they sort themselves out soon - Pesky gnashers
Reply 4
Original post by Muttly
I'm ok now thank you - another dentist pulled the tooth out! Sheer bliss (never thought I would say that)

Erupting wisdom teeth - Bonjela or Anbesol or Oragel (any chemist for good numbing gels)

I hope they sort themselves out soon - Pesky gnashers

Good good :smile: how long did it take your gum to heal up after having it removed? It’s weird because I’m pretty sure my wisdom tooth was coming though when I was doing my GCSEs and I’m now 21. Maybe it’s because there’s no room for it to grow 🤔 Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
From tooth out to healing completely over was about 8 weeks and the really smooth gummy healing over about 4 months

I do know sometimes if you have a wisdom tooth out you might need stitches that can complicate things.

You might find that once the tooth has erupted out of the gum & the bulging phase your pain is a lot less? If it never gets past this point you might need more dental help and advice?
Reply 6
Get themn pulled, the top wisdom teeth are easily removed, usually, and dont require the surgical one like the bottom ones can. Itll hurt for a week or so and wont be fun but at least itll stop damaging your gums and, i presume, giving you infections in the mouth from the cuts?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttly
From tooth out to healing completely over was about 8 weeks and the really smooth gummy healing over about 4 months

I do know sometimes if you have a wisdom tooth out you might need stitches that can complicate things.

You might find that once the tooth has erupted out of the gum & the bulging phase your pain is a lot less? If it never gets past this point you might need more dental help and advice?

Ahh ok. Yes, my dad had a tooth pulled out a few months ago so I sort of know what happens. I do remember that my gums really hurt when they started coming through. I just had a look and I can only count 31 teeth, but one is half out and I can’t see the 32nd one… I’m pretty sure adults are meant to have 32 teeth? Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Get themn pulled, the top wisdom teeth are easily removed, usually, and dont require the surgical one like the bottom ones can. Itll hurt for a week or so and wont be fun but at least itll stop damaging your gums and, i presume, giving you infections in the mouth from the cuts?

I don’t even know exactly what tooth is causing the problem, so I will need to go to the dentist. It’s the bottom gum that hurts. I haven’t had any infections so far. Thank you!

Quick Reply