essarah
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi everyone,

I’m currently in my second year studying for a BA (hons) in early childhood with aims of being a teacher. However I would like to start my PGCE now in order to complete all my education in a shorter time period and be able to look for teaching positions. I have over 8 years experience working with children and in schools.

Would this be possible? And would I be able to study online? Any info anyone had would be greatly appreciated!
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by essarah)
Hi everyone,

I’m currently in my second year studying for a BA (hons) in early childhood with aims of being a teacher. However I would like to start my PGCE now in order to complete all my education in a shorter time period and be able to look for teaching positions. I have over 8 years experience working with children and in schools.

Would this be possible? And would I be able to study online? Any info anyone had would be greatly appreciated!
You need a degree to get into PGCE courses.

Unless you already hold a degree, you're better off completing your current degree before starting a PGCE.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Hi everyone,

Hello essarah

Teaching is a post graduate profession and you may only access a teacher training course once you have a degree or are completing a degree with QTS. (Qualified Teaching Status) Therefore, until you've completed your degree, you are unable to begin your teacher training course.

The Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is the academic side of a teacher training course. You are asked to complete 4-5 assignments or essays of about 2500 - 5000 word equivalent on theories of teaching and learning.

QTS is the practical side of the teacher training course, where you'll practice your teaching for a period. You'll plan lessons, teach them, assess the level of learning that took place, and participate in the wider world of a school.

I would recommend you look to register for a Get into Teaching adviser, so that you can be coached through your application and expedite your ability to get onto a course you want. Register for your qualified and experience teacher, who is expert in the application process here.

Wishing you all the best for the greatest of outcomes in your degree!

Jane
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Hi everyone,

PG stands for post graduate - you need to complete a degree to get into teaching.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads