VictoriaAlp
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Anyone ever used tutoring services to improve their grades? Did it work?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
Hi VictoriaAlp while I do not know anything about help from a tutor, which does work for people, I can instead offer some advice for how to improve your grades:

The best thing to do is to stick to your learning outcomes (LO's). This is what your tutor will be marking against. What I do is aim for the 70+ outcome, so try and do your essay according to the 70+ LO and then you're likely to at least get a 2:1.

Other things are make sure that you use lots of different refences, use counter arguments backed up by research/evidence and use critical evaluation/writing.

This site provides some helpful advice to better academic writing: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/academicwriting and this provides some simple resources: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/c.php?g=673603&p=4829958.

Also, don't try to pack everything in (something I used to do a lot!) as then you can't go into detail of, for example, a policy or theory. Best thing to do is make a few detailed points with lots of evidence and citations and then use these to make insightful explanations/interpretations.

Your university may have skills sessions around academic writing, critical writing (which is what you need to do in order to achieve the best marks) and about understanding LO's and using these to make the best out of your essay, and if they do then you should attend them! I have and they are very helpful.

If the problem is you have difficulty concentrating or absorbing the material I would form a study group, you could go to the library together to go over the past lecture/seminar, to do your work together (it can be motivating when others around you are working), to revise and so on.

If you provide more detail, such as your course and what exactly you are struggling with, I can provide more tailored advice.

I hope this helped a little.

- Rosie.
Last edited by hallamstudents; 6 days ago
VictoriaAlp
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi VictoriaAlp while I do not know anything about help from a tutor, which does work for people, I can instead offer some advice for how to improve your grades:

The best thing to do is to stick to your learning outcomes (LO's). This is what your tutor will be marking against. What I do is aim for the 70+ outcome, so try and do your essay according to the 70+ LO and then you're likely to at least get a 2:1.

Other things are make sure that you use lots of different refences, use counter arguments backed up by research/evidence and use critical evaluation/writing.

This site provides some helpful advice to better academic writing: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/academicwriting and this provides some simple resources: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/c.php?g=673603&p=4829958.

Also, don't try to pack everything in (something I used to do a lot!) as then you can't go into detail of, for example, a policy or theory. Best thing to do is make a few detailed points with lots of evidence and citations and then use these to make insightful explanations/interpretations.

Your university may have skills sessions around academic writing, critical writing (which is what you need to do in order to achieve the best marks) and about understanding LO's and using these to make the best out of your essay, and if they do then you should attend them! I have and they are very helpful.

If the problem is you have difficulty concentrating or absorbing the material I would form a study group, you could go to the library together to go over the past lecture/seminar, to do your work together (it can be motivating when others around you are working), to revise and so on.

If you provide more detail, such as your course and what exactly you are struggling with, I can provide more tailored advice.

I hope this helped a little.

- Rosie.
Thank you Rosie, i will check it out.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by VictoriaAlp)
Anyone ever used tutoring services to improve their grades? Did it work?
Hiya

Are you referring to external tutors or tutors within your university?

I would check out your academic develop centres / learning development centres (they may be called something different at your uni).

They can help you breakdown essay materials, proof read your work, that sort of thing. If you are unsure of how to contact them, i would speak to your personal tutor, they should know and point you in the right direction.

Don't forget lecturers can also support you to an extent, booking meetings with lecturers to find out what they want for their essays and assignments can really help your grades.

Hope this helps

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.5%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.95%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.33%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (254)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.41%

Watched Threads