The Student Room Group

Oxford Open Offer

Hi there! I got an offer yesterday for History and am so excited! I applied to Oriel and was told that I received an 'Open Offer'. Can anyone help me understand what this means? What is the likelihood of staying at Oriel? Can I influence this? When will I find out what college I will be going to?

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure that means you have been given an offer but you've not been assigned to a college yet (most likely that it won't be Oriel or any other colleges you interviewed at). You'll probably be told what college that would be taking you later on in the year - I don't think you have any input on this I'm afraid. Congrats on the offer!! :h:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Congratulations! Open offers mean that if you meet the offer, you will be assigned a college which has a space open because of someone else missing or declining an offer. It's a way for Oxford colleges to collectively mitigate the risk of direct offer applicants not coming. If everyone did accept or meet their offer, one college will have guaranteed your spot with them if it's needed, to make sure you end up somewhere. I'm not sure whether this guarantor is more likely to be Oriel but I would imagine so, however it's unlikely you would even end up going to the guarantor college since usually spaces will open up elsewhere. Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Anon1857
Congratulations! Open offers mean that if you meet the offer, you will be assigned a college which has a space open because of someone else missing or declining an offer. It's a way for Oxford colleges to collectively mitigate the risk of direct offer applicants not coming. If everyone did accept or meet their offer, one college will have guaranteed your spot with them if it's needed, to make sure you end up somewhere. I'm not sure whether this guarantor is more likely to be Oriel but I would imagine so, however it's unlikely you would even end up going to the guarantor college since usually spaces will open up elsewhere. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much this explains it really well - yes Oriel said that I would go there if I wasn't allocated to another college. Do you know how Open Offers are decided, as to why I got that instead of just a direct offer? Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by manta_ray4
Thanks so much this explains it really well - yes Oriel said that I would go there if I wasn't allocated to another college. Do you know how Open Offers are decided, as to why I got that instead of just a direct offer? I am of course over the moon with the offer but I feel a bit worried not knowing. Maybe I'm just overthinking lol.

I had the same question, I got an open offer from queen's
Reply 5
You were both really good applicants but they must have reached their quotas on offers so have given you an open offer in the case that a place is made available at another college after results day. But if this doesn't happen you would go to the college that gave you the open offer. Just make sure you meet all the requirements and you'll be given a place somewhere in Oxford :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by eaglestorm5000
I had the same question, I got an open offer from queen's

Oh yay I'm not alone! What subject?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by coco:)
You were both really good applicants but they must have reached their quotas on offers so have given you an open offer in the case that a place is made available at another college after results day. But if this doesn't happen you would go to the college that gave you the open offer. Just make sure you meet all the requirements and you'll be given a place somewhere in Oxford :smile:

For sure! Thanks!
Oh yay I'm not alone! What subject?

Materials Science
Hello there! I also applied for Material Science. I finished my interview last Friday but still not hear the response. Does this mean I have a high probability of being rejected? Very depressed :frown:. Thank you.
Reply 10
This was posted a few years ago to clarify open offers by @BrasenoseAdm

"an Open Offer Candidate needs to be someone considered to have a very good chance of meeting the conditions and with a high enough ranking to be accepted by another college ..should whichever college makes the Open... not themselves have a missed conditional offer or a withdrawal. On TSR there is a mythology that Open Offers are like 'Pebbles' in 101 Dalmations (pardon the analogy!). In reality, the subject coordinators require Opens to satisfy specific criteria - we don't like the terms 'best' and 'worst' since everyone with an offer is rated above the required standard, but Open picks generally don't go to the least highest ranked successful candidate in the group for the reasons we've explained"

I hope this reassures you.
Reply 11
Hi there! I got an offer yesterday for History and am so excited! I applied to Oriel and was told that I received an 'Open Offer'. Can anyone help me understand what this means? What is the likelihood of staying at Oriel? Can I influence this? When will I find out what college I will be going to?

Thanks!

Just worked out from another post querying room allocations at Oriel that you (@manta_ray4) ended up at your underwriting college. A belated congratulations.

University of Oxford 2022 Applicants Official Thread II

The reason I've added this to this thread is that there might be other like me looking for info on Open Offers for History (and in general) and the likelihood of ending up at the underwriting college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending