LPC LLM or wait for Training Contract

Watch this thread
eveabdel
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

I graduate from Newcastle in July with a First in Law and i currently work in a firm as a legal secretary. I am trying to figure out how to do my LPC. I have applied for 1 Training Contract with Irwin Mitchell before Christmas, but didn't get past the first stage as i did it in a rush. I have 1 or 2 other firms in mine, but my main problem is i am unsure of what area i want to go into, and therefore finding a TC is hard. I know i definitely want to do a seat in Public and Administration law, hence the Irwin Mitchell application.

I have been looking into starting the LPC with LLM to get the government funding in September, and doing it part-time with part-time work to support myself. unfortunately i come from a very low household income house and therefore don't have family money to help fund the LPC.

I feel i am panicking as i will have to wait another year to make applications at the firms i am interested in, and i am getting into my 20s with little direction in life.

Should i consider the LPC LLM part-time and fund myself, or keep applying for TCs in the hope that I secure one?

Any advice would be helpful.
Joleee
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
most firms don't fund the LPC so you would be limiting yourself in this regard. the other issue is you're not really actively trying to get a training contract, are you? i mean you've only applied to one firm and your future plan so far is one or two firms. if you want a training contract you're going to have to be more aggressive than that. no point in doing the LLM/LPC if your application strategy is lackadaisical. jmho
Last edited by Joleee; 4 months ago
17Student17
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Could you start in Jan 2022 (now) starting a tiny bit late and do it full time using the masters student loan to fund you and perhaps a weekend job for extra money. I think as it is only 14 Jan you can start a bit late for the January starters (BPP might begin on 31 Jan or something like that now due to a delay). You might as well get the LPC done before firms have moved too far to the new SQE system. Might as well get the LPC fully done full time this year 2022 so move on with your life even if you then have the masters debt. If you are up to it academically you might even want to do the accelerated BPP LPC online which is more like 7 months in which case it would all be done by end of the summer 2022 just leaving the TC stage to do. Then you would probably get a paralegal job more easily as you would have the LPC done.
eveabdel
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you everyone. Jolee is right, my heart isn't in it at the minute. There aren't many training contracts offering the LPC in the types of law i want to go into, and I wouldn't want to start my career in a seat/practice that i have no interest in just for the money.

Unfortunately i do not have the ability to do the LPC now, i am full time in a legal secretarial role and promised them 12 months of work. This will also give me the time save money as i am in a poor financial state both myself, and low income family wise. My tactic in life has always been slow and steady- I achieved high grades in A Levels and a head girl position, and then achieved a high grade in my degree.

Am i being silly by wanting to move slowly until i know exactly what i want? I have had a whirlwind of a year with the pandemic, moving back home, starting a new job etc and feel i will be in a better position in september knowing what i want. I am hoping to apply for a scholarship at law schools due to my background and performance, and if not go either part-time or start the applications again with a betetr idea of what i want.
17Student17
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
No problem with going slow at all and you have the secretarial legal job at present. That firm in fact might let you move into doing some paralegal work which could count as qualifying work experience for qualification purposes under the new system if you pass the SQE exams (if you do down that route) in due course. By the way I am from Newcastle and applied to 139 firms London and had 25 London interviews before getting a training contract in London in the last year of my law degree (a long time ago but it just shows persistence pays off!). I must have been the worst person at interviews on the planet
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
15.89%
The paper was reasonable (188)
48.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.26%
It was TERRIBLE (38)
9.9%

Watched Threads