Masters Loan Eligibility

Watch this thread
adelly14
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,I am hopefully going to finished studying to become a member of the ACCA, and was looking to do a masters afterwards. I know there are top up masters that are not eligible for the loan, but if I chose to do a full masters would I be eligible to receive the loan? Not sure whether ACCA qualification is counted as masters equivalent and so makes me ineligible.Thanks
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by adelly14)
Hi,I am hopefully going to finished studying to become a member of the ACCA, and was looking to do a masters afterwards. I know there are top up masters that are not eligible for the loan, but if I chose to do a full masters would I be eligible to receive the loan? Not sure whether ACCA qualification is counted as masters equivalent and so makes me ineligible.Thanks
Hi Adelly,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
adelly14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Adelly,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac, thanks for your reply!

I can answer all but the first question, mainly because I didn't want to spend hours researching the exact course if I wasn't going to stand a chance of eligibility, however I would be looking at an MSc in some form of Accounting, a 'normal' part time 2 year course at a UK university, however it would be distance learning. I am currently 36, UK citizen since birth and by the time I would be applying I would be a full member of the ACCA, as well as a member of the AAT (although I may drop this), having previously gained a BA (Hons), 3 A Levels, and 10 GCSEs all A-C, as well as a few NVQs and a BTEC. I have previously had a student loan for my BA (Hons) and an Advanced Learning Loan for my AAT studies.

Many thanks,
Adele
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi Isaac, thanks for your reply!

I can answer all but the first question, mainly because I didn't want to spend hours researching the exact course if I wasn't going to stand a chance of eligibility, however I would be looking at an MSc in some form of Accounting, a 'normal' part time 2 year course at a UK university, however it would be distance learning. I am currently 36, UK citizen since birth and by the time I would be applying I would be a full member of the ACCA, as well as a member of the AAT (although I may drop this), having previously gained a BA (Hons), 3 A Levels, and 10 GCSEs all A-C, as well as a few NVQs and a BTEC. I have previously had a student loan for my BA (Hons) and an Advanced Learning Loan for my AAT studies.

Many thanks,
Adele
You're welcome

It's hard to provide you with an exact answer because without a university + course name, I'm not able to check the database to see if the course is eligible.

Based on your response, you have never studied at masters level before so you should be eligible for postgraduate funding, however it's just whether the course you want to study is eligible.

As per our guidance:

The course must be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The following courses are not eligible for funding:

3 year Part Time courses that are a 1 year FTE
4 year Part Time courses that are either a 1 year FTE or that have no FTE course
A partial postgraduate masters course
They are carrying credits over from a previous course in order to complete a postgraduate master's course**
**To be eligible the course must be a full, stand alone master's course and not a top up from a lower level course. The student must therefore be enrolled on the full master's course in order to receive PGM funding.

Distance Learning

Students studying a distance learning postgraduate course will be eligible for a PGM. In order to be eligible:

SFE students must be living in England for the duration of the course but the HEP can be based elsewhere in the UK
EU students must be in England on the first day of the academic year. They must also live and study in England for the duration of their course.

If your course meets that above criteria then the course should be eligible.

It would be more ideal if you look at some universities who offer the course you are interested in and then I'll be able to advise if the course is eligible.

Thanks, Isaac
Last edited by SFE Isaac; 3 months ago
adelly14
Rep:
You're welcome

It's hard to provide you with an exact answer because without a university + course name, I'm not able to check the database to see if the course is eligible.

Based on your response, you have never studied at masters level before so you should be eligible for postgraduate funding, however it's just whether the course you want to study is eligible.

As per our guidance:

The course must be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The following courses are not eligible for funding:

3 year Part Time courses that are a 1 year FTE
4 year Part Time courses that are either a 1 year FTE or that have no FTE course
A partial postgraduate masters course
They are carrying credits over from a previous course in order to complete a postgraduate master's course**
**To be eligible the course must be a full, stand alone master's course and not a top up from a lower level course. The student must therefore be enrolled on the full master's course in order to receive PGM funding.

Distance Learning

Students studying a distance learning postgraduate course will be eligible for a PGM. In order to be eligible:

SFE students must be living in England for the duration of the course but the HEP can be based elsewhere in the UK
EU students must be in England on the first day of the academic year. They must also live and study in England for the duration of their course.

If your course meets that above criteria then the course should be eligible.

It would be more ideal if you look at some universities who offer the course you are interested in and then I'll be able to advise if the course is eligible.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thank you so much for your reply! I would likely make sure that the course I choose to study would meet the criteria, I was mostly concerned that the ACCA qualification would make me ineligible, however since that doesn't seem the case I shall go ahead and spend some time looking into this properly!

Thanks again,
Adele
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Thank you so much for your reply! I would likely make sure that the course I choose to study would meet the criteria, I was mostly concerned that the ACCA qualification would make me ineligible, however since that doesn't seem the case I shall go ahead and spend some time looking into this properly!

Thanks again,
Adele
You're welcome.

I was mostly concerned that the ACCA qualification would make me ineligible
This could be the case as it's not something I've seen. You would need to receive a full masters qualification. However I can only determine if a course is eligible or not if the course name/university can be provided.

Thanks, Isaac
adelly14
Rep:
Ah fair enough then! Well one of my preferred options, after some research over the weekend, is the MSc in Accounting and Finance at Arden University. They offer both a full and top up version, and for the purpose of this query I would be looking at the full option.

Many thanks,
Adele
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The MSc Accounting and Finance course at Arden university is an eligible part time distance learning course.

You can receive a postgraduate loan for this course.

Thanks, Isaac
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
adelly14
Good luck with your Masters! I've just finished my MSc at Arden and I was fully eligible for the Post Graduate Loan - the University was really helpful with financial matters

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
adelly14
Rep:
The MSc Accounting and Finance course at Arden university is an eligible part time distance learning course.

You can receive a postgraduate loan for this course.

Thanks, Isaac
Amazing thank you
adelly14
Rep:
(Original post by Arden University)
adelly14
Good luck with your Masters! I've just finished my MSc at Arden and I was fully eligible for the Post Graduate Loan - the University was really helpful with financial matters

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Ah thank you - well done to you! I'd not heard of Arden previously but after a bit of research it looks really good
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Amazing thank you
You're welcome - glad to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads