Is there NHS courses I can do instead of going university?

Watch this thread
anonymous238
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey Everyone, so I need some guidance, basically I have completed a Level 3 Health and Social Care and achieved D*DD now I have taken a gap year to retake my GCSES science so that I could get into Primary Education. But now I don't think primary education is for me and now I want to work in the NHS. But, I don't know what careers to choose, within the NHS I'm thinking of doing a course funded by the NHS but I don't know if they do that . If anyone knows if the NHS funds courses instead of going to university please let me know.
username5752116
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hi!

Congratulations on getting your grades! I took health and social care diploma (D*D*) and applied science extended certificate (D). I am currently taking a gap year and applied for operating department practice at university which has an NHS bursary as ODP's are in demand.

As far as I'm aware the NHS does not fund courses entirely. All that comes up is financial support at university but there are a few apprenticeships which you can look at on the NHS careers website. You may need a level 3 science subject or good grades in science units from your extended diploma for quite a few NHS courses depending on what you're looking for but I am not 100% certain.

Hope this was helpful!
BC156
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi! So I work in the NHS and if you’re looking at Nursing then yes they do offer two course currently. However they like you have experience as a HCA and that really is vital as you’ll be up against a lot of people who want the same thing you do. There’s the Nursing Associate Degree which is a 4 year part time course where you work full time alongside going to university one day a week and same for your placement days, after you’re a band 4. There’s also the Nursing Apprenticeship which is the same length but you’re a Qualified band 5 after. If you’re looking for a different career in the NHS they don’t currently offer anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (220)
42.15%
The paper was reasonable (224)
42.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.75%

Watched Threads