yhhrom
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Would 4 months be enough to do the entire AS law and AS sociology course and get at least an A grade?
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
that is a lot of content to cram into 4 months. Theres a reason they take place over a year. Doing one subject over 4 months is one thing, but doing two is eve more difficult. Have you any experience with A levels/AS level already, or are you considering doing this after GCSES/now youve got your GCSEs?
yhhrom
Rep:
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
that is a lot of content to cram into 4 months. Theres a reason they take place over a year. Doing one subject over 4 months is one thing, but doing two is eve more difficult. Have you any experience with A levels/AS level already, or are you considering doing this after GCSES/now youve got your GCSEs?
No im repeating my AS. I took sciences at first and then had to switch because I could not score well. I dont want to waste a year so im thinking of giving AS law and sociology in may and then A2 in october. I have really good english essay skills and i have a strong grip on the language so I thought it wouldn't be so hard for me. Im still a little conflicted tho
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by yhhrom)
No im repeating my AS. I took sciences at first and then had to switch because I could not score well. I dont want to waste a year so im thinking of giving AS law and sociology in may and then A2 in october. I have really good english essay skills and i have a strong grip on the language so I thought it wouldn't be so hard for me. Im still a little conflicted tho
So you would be doing both the AS’s at the same time?
I mean some colleges allow students to fast track an A level, so they do the AS and A2 content in one year, but they have the support of their teachers, and from what i can gather, you would be teaching yourself?
Unless you have a lot of support from teachers then it might be difficult to do and get an A
I got an A in my AS law, and i did it alongside 2 other AS courses, and i can easily say that without the help of my teachers, i would not have done as well as i did. Its a very content heavy subject with a lot of cases to remember, and some of the content can be quite complex, and depending on the exam board you do it with, there are limited resources.
I cannot vouch for sociology as i have not yet studied it, however i can say that i have spoken to people who are taking it currently and they say it is difficult, but it may not be for you
Basically what im trying to say is that you need some support from a teacher or at least a tutor if you want to realistically do well with the short amount of time you have
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
It depends what other commitments you have but an A is the highest grade you can achieve at AS so 'at least an sA' is a strange thing to put. Studying the whole A2 content by October may be more of a challenge.
yhhrom
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
It depends what other commitments you have but an A is the highest grade you can achieve at AS so 'at least an sA' is a strange thing to put. Studying the whole A2 content by October may be more of a challenge.
then realistically speaking I would say B is my target. Im only giving 2 AS exams this may so idk if it'll be hard to manage or not since I dont want to waste a year either.
yhhrom
Rep:
So you would be doing both the AS’s at the same time?
I mean some colleges allow students to fast track an A level, so they do the AS and A2 content in one year, but they have the support of their teachers, and from what i can gather, you would be teaching yourself?
Unless you have a lot of support from teachers then it might be difficult to do and get an A
I got an A in my AS law, and i did it alongside 2 other AS courses, and i can easily say that without the help of my teachers, i would not have done as well as i did. Its a very content heavy subject with a lot of cases to remember, and some of the content can be quite complex, and depending on the exam board you do it with, there are limited resources.
I cannot vouch for sociology as i have not yet studied it, however i can say that i have spoken to people who are taking it currently and they say it is difficult, but it may not be for you
Basically what im trying to say is that you need some support from a teacher or at least a tutor if you want to realistically do well with the short amount of time you have
Yes i will be giving both AS exams at the same time. Im going to have a teacher and a tutor to hopefully make it easier for myself. Im still a little unsure tho because I feel like I have a very short amount of time to cover the syllabus but then on the other hand I dont want to have to waste another year
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Yes i will be giving both AS exams at the same time. Im going to have a teacher and a tutor to hopefully make it easier for myself. Im still a little unsure tho because I feel like I have a very short amount of time to cover the syllabus but then on the other hand I dont want to have to waste another year
I do agree that it is a short amount of time, but at least you have the necessary support
Is it not an option for you to do one AS level instead of 2?
yhhrom
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I do agree that it is a short amount of time, but at least you have the necessary support
Is it not an option for you to do one AS level instead of 2?
No :/ like I said earlier, I dont want to waste a year so I need to give 2 by May.
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
No :/ like I said earlier, I dont want to waste a year so I need to give 2 by May.
I mean i guess its worth a shot and its not impossible to get 2 As, but it will be extremely difficult, so its up to you to decide whether you could handle that workload
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Would 4 months be enough to do the entire AS law and AS sociology course and get at least an A grade?
yhhrom
4 months is quite steep for AS Sociology, but I suppose it depends how much time you have per week to study. The key thing for a subject like Sociology is to get familiar with perspectives such as Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism, and Interactionism plus Research Methods, that way they will influence how you see the topics such as the family, religion etc.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Honey57
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Yeh defo. I crammed in two years of alevel content in a months revision for my exams.
yhhrom
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Arden University)
yhhrom
4 months is quite steep for AS Sociology, but I suppose it depends how much time you have per week to study. The key thing for a subject like Sociology is to get familiar with perspectives such as Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism, and Interactionism plus Research Methods, that way they will influence how you see the topics such as the family, religion etc.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I will have a minimum of 4 hours every day for the subject, making it 28 hours a week. Would it be doable if I make a study schedule like this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads