ellllieee
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
hey guys so i’m moving to london in september for uni and my friend and i want to rent out a flat instead of uni accommodation. ideally we want to move to the south as it’s the cheapest.

we have absolutely no idea what to do, finding a good, suitable flat to rent.

like where do we start?
i’m aware that we need to have a deposit for around £4,000, which we’ll have but when will that be due for?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ellllieee)
hey guys so i’m moving to london in september for uni and my friend and i want to rent out a flat instead of uni accommodation. ideally we want to move to the south as it’s the cheapest.

we have absolutely no idea what to do, finding a good, suitable flat to rent.

like where do we start?
i’m aware that we need to have a deposit for around £4,000, which we’ll have but when will that be due for?
Hi! ellllieee

Usually when renting you would go to an estate/letting agent.
However, because you'll be uni students I would speak to your university housing team and they should be able to recommend some student letting agents and landlords for you.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Which London uni?
ellllieee
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Which London uni?
we’ll be going to different unis
-KCL
-Greenwich
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ellllieee)
we’ll be going to different unis
-KCL
-Greenwich
some pointers for renting:

- make sure you have a guarantor (this is almost always required for students), this usually means someone who earns x4 the amount of the monthly cost of rent (though some renting agencies may have different amounts)
- try and go through a reputable letting agency, as opposed to say spare room, as you can get screwed over quite easily
- don't be forced to pay any renting admin fees like copies of passport etc. it has be ruled out than estate agents can't charge for this
- I would recommend highly Rightmove a starting point of costs and what you are looking for
- when renting, clarify if bills are included
- deposit shouldn't be 4k, normally it's 5 weeks rent, so if you're renting at 1k a month, the deposit shouldn't be more than 1.5k
- work out what kind of place you want - again, Rightmove is a great way to gauge what you can get for your money
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Check out rightmove and zoopla.
Spareroom sometimes has entire apartments and flats available for a few students to rent together.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed