I want to have children but not be married.

Watch
Evan2002
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am 19 years old and my brother is 15. Our parents aren’t married but are still together. Personally, I want to have kids in the future but not be married. Yet, I do want to be in a longtime relationship with a woman. What criticism will I get for this? And is it okay for a man to think about children before marriage when it comes to thinking about a future or am I unreasonable?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
No criticism - we live in the 21st century. And yes, totally OK for a man to think about children and the future.
Queenbee1323
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
It is normal to think about kids. About the marriage thing, I don't want to speak for all girls, but I would prefer to be married, it means something for me personally. But there could be girls who don't want marriage and just like you want to stay in a relationship. I don't think you would be criticised, it worked out for your parents, so nothing wrong with that
burberry_butter
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah, you could adopt or foster or use a surrogate
Evan2002
Rep:
(Original post by burberry_butter)
Yeah, you could adopt or foster or use a surrogate
Well, unmarried people in relationships can have a child naturally. Unless you believe in you shouldn’t have sex before you get married, which if that is your view is perfectly fine.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
That's fine.
I'm a 26 year old female with a very similar attitude.
I'll be going down the ivf coparenting route and probably won't get married.

It is important to be totally honest with potential dates and coparents to ensure that you have compatible ambitions & lifestyle preferences.
Best to avoid getting closely involved with those girls who prefer to wait until marriage or come from a socially conservative background and have plans for an expensive engagement party/fancy wedding.
Good luck!
burberry_butter
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Evan2002)
Well, unmarried people in relationships can have a child naturally. Unless you believe in you shouldn’t have sex before you get married, which if that is your view is perfectly fine.
No ofc, I am fully aware of this, but OP, didn't seem like that's what he meant, and put greater emphasis on the kids part, and seemed like he isn't in a relationship rn. But ofc to freely co-parent a child conceived naturally is v common too in this day and age.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I shall not see infants born into bast.ardy. What scarlet woman would you have bear them?
Last edited by Trinculo; 2 weeks ago
KA_P
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by burberry_butter)
No ofc, I am fully aware of this, but OP, didn't seem like that's what he meant, and put greater emphasis on the kids part, and seemed like he isn't in a relationship rn. But ofc to freely co-parent a child conceived naturally is v common too in this day and age.
That was the OP's post you quoted though
gracieee16
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
peoples have their own life goals and it's okay if you don't wanna become married but i think if you are together with someone for at least 3-5 years, that's probably the best time to have a baby.
but personally i'd wait until marriage but this is about you!!! so you do what makes you happy and good luck!!!!
burberry_butter
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
That was the OP's post you quoted though
Yeah, I realised after. If that's what he wants then its cool too, no one cares
Evan2002
Rep:
(Original post by Trinculo)
I shall not see infants born into bast.ardy. What scarlet woman would you have bear them?
What’s wrong with it?
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
What’s wrong with it?
The decline in moral fibre.
Evan2002
Rep:
(Original post by Trinculo)
The decline in moral fibre.
What do you mean by “moral fibre”.
Evan2002
Rep:
What do you mean by “moral fibre”.
You can still be committed to each other in a normal unmarried relationship without any adultery or promiscuity involved.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
You can still be committed to each other in a normal unmarried relationship without any adultery or promiscuity involved.
Hello. Before marriage I would have sex, but I wouldn't have kids at all. But that's a preference, if you have another one then we should respect your decision.
legit help
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I am 19 years old and my brother is 15. Our parents aren’t married but are still together. Personally, I want to have kids in the future but not be married. Yet, I do want to be in a longtime relationship with a woman. What criticism will I get for this? And is it okay for a man to think about children before marriage when it comes to thinking about a future or am I unreasonable?
lol,its contradictory
Joleee
Report 2 weeks ago
i don't think you'll receive much criticism? lots of people do it :hmmmm2:

i will just point out relationships don't always last and it's easier to get out of one if you're not married. will you be happy to pay child support if that were to happen?
Evan2002
Rep:
(Original post by legit help)
lol,its contradictory
Yeah but lots of people have children unmarked now. It’s just there’s a lot of people who are just cynical and have old fashioned views.
LexiLoo2
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Many people do exactly that - have children and not get married.

That said, I don't see why you need to make this decision now i.e. in advance of meeting someone. You don't know how you'll feel once you meet someone (the right someone).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.49%
October 2021 (251)
45.23%
November 2021 (66)
11.89%
December 2021 (69)
12.43%
January 2021 (72)
12.97%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
7.93%