The Student Room Group

Which course for fashion/design/textiles?

I am curious about which university/non-university courses I should consider since I dream of opening a boutique of my own in the future. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by huew
I am curious about which university/non-university courses I should consider since I dream of opening a boutique of my own in the future. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there!
There are several different university courses you may like to consider for your future career, such as fashion marketing, fashion design or textiles depending on which area you are most interested in. :smile:
Fashion marketing is more focused on the business aspects of fashion and things like trend forecasting, as well as how brands visually convey their ideas to customers and appeal to their target markets. Textiles however is focused on the fabrics themselves that may be used in garments (or other products) and creating them through techniques such as printing and weaving. Finally, fashion design is about designing and making the actual clothes from a starting idea through to a final collection.
I personally am a second year fashion design student so I can happily expand more on what my course involves! We usually start with a brief and then conduct our own research to begin gaining ideas for what the collection we design could be. We go through a process of drawing many different shapes and details and testing fabrics, until we have a complete image for what we want to make. We then create our own patterns and cut and sew the garments from scratch. We learn a lot of technical sewing skills on the course as well as how to expand our creative ideas, and this semester we got the choice of several different option modules, so I chose to do business skills to also get some insight into this side of the industry as well. We can also chose between men's or womenswear as a focus, but I know some universities also offer sportswear if this is something you might be interested in!
Is there anything else you would like to know about fashion design as a course?
Anna- 2nd year fashion design student

Quick Reply

Latest