The Student Room Group

Teachers - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Scroll to see replies

Best:
My Y7/8 maths teacher, he was exceedingly good at making sure that the topics were interesting, went out of his way to teach us useful things he thought should've been on the curriculum. He also had a very good, if a little odd, sense of humour.

Worst:
My Y5 teacher was awfully incompetent as well as having a naff personality and was irrationally harsher towards boys than girls. Her crowning moments would've been keeping students in at break to do work they hadn't been in to do, repeatedly telling us we could have x reward if something was done and then not doing so, and once bringing in a sparkly shoe she had 'found outside her house' and decided that we should write about it - she was also nuts about 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley and played it extremely frequently.
My (current) Y10/11 English teacher isn't that great either, since she gives us much more homework than other lessons to do in a shorter period of time. I also find that (since my handwriting isn't all too great) I end up with comments on my work telling me such - these comments often being less legible than my own work.
Reply 21
Original post by Rufus The Red
Best:
My Y7/8 maths teacher, he was exceedingly good at making sure that the topics were interesting, went out of his way to teach us useful things he thought should've been on the curriculum. He also had a very good, if a little odd, sense of humour.

Worst:
My Y5 teacher was awfully incompetent as well as having a naff personality and was irrationally harsher towards boys than girls. Her crowning moments would've been keeping students in at break to do work they hadn't been in to do, repeatedly telling us we could have x reward if something was done and then not doing so, and once bringing in a sparkly shoe she had 'found outside her house' and decided that we should write about it - she was also nuts about 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley and played it extremely frequently.
My (current) Y10/11 English teacher isn't that great either, since she gives us much more homework than other lessons to do in a shorter period of time. I also find that (since my handwriting isn't all too great) I end up with comments on my work telling me such - these comments often being less legible than my own work.

Wow - I never thought someone would put their primary school teacher down as being one of their worst.
Your English teacher is so ironic :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TriplexA
Teachers who go the extra mile are amazing.

I completely understand if you end up hating maths for the rest of your life...

ironically i willingly chose to do alevel maths, and got placed in his class. he explains things well but sometimes can just be so nasty
Reply 23
Original post by theblondemo
ironically i willingly chose to do alevel maths, and got placed in his class. he explains things well but sometimes can just be so nasty

Oh that is ironic.

I wish you all the best with it though.
My best teachers were from FE college. My worst - bar one exception - were from secondary school. Go figure :smile:

Good - two history teachers at college, both looking after separate A Level groups. Both extremely passionate about their subject (even if a bit heavy with the reading material) and genuinely did their best to help us succeed. One of them helped me with a coursework question while the other was away, even though I wasn’t in his class. The other strongly pushed me to resit a module despite my reluctance - had they not done that I would have ended up with a C instead of a B :smile:

Bad - another history teacher at college, who obviously wasn’t qualified but was somehow hired. Came to lessons with no plan whatsoever and sat in silence, even saying “I don’t know” when asked a question! She was going to be let go after we complained to the department but quit before they could, realising she was not up to the job. This was another reason why my college experience was better than school - we could raise valid concerns about teaching and have them taken seriously, whereas complaining about teachers at high school was unthinkable.

Ugly - chemistry teacher at high school who made you feel completely stupid if you answered a question incorrectly, wrote convoluted notes on the board and made you copy them, and criticised people’s homework in front of the entire class.
I managed to get an A without his help, but was put off chemistry for life.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TriplexA
That sounds awful :frown: Wrongly accusing anyone, without proof, isn't right.

Well that wasn't really the issue. It is more that we are studying a legal field and the tutor violated a standard of practice in the field in which we are studying, and then tried to blame the victims for what happened. I believe the idea of picking out individual people was more so that the tutor knew those people weren't the actual ones who filled in the survey, so they tried to pick on one to point the finger at the actual culprits. Abusers tend to deflect blame away from themselves by punishing the entire group, and steer it toward the people who reported her - divide and conquer. It's abuser logic 101 - victim blaming. Pandora's box was opened when that interrogation session started, everything that happened after is just a continuation of the original violation. The claim that she would report us is also pretty typical of someone who is trying to deflect what happened onto the victim e.g driver mows over pedestrian at crossing and tries to argue that the person stepped out too suddenly and damaged the car. It's also intellectually dishonest.

Quick Reply

Latest