No house for 2nd year and it will be late January when I go back

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I was going to get a house for 2nd year at uni with one of my good mates from home two of his mates and my course mate, however before we signed off for the house over the Christmas holidays they have all dropped out of uni. They were the only proper mates I had here and now I don’t have a house for 2nd year and I’ve not got much in the way of friends as I have spent most of my time with this girl I am seeing, my flat is also terrible but I won’t go into detail. I have asked some people who I am currently acquaintances with if they have got houses sorted in hopes of asking to live with them, sadly they have all sorted them though. Is it too late now as when I go back to uni it will be late January, I also feel it is too late to join a society and that most friend groups have already formed. Is there any advice people could give both in the way of meeting new friends at this stage or housing. Thanks
legit help
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was going to get a house for 2nd year at uni with one of my good mates from home two of his mates and my course mate, however before we signed off for the house over the Christmas holidays they have all dropped out of uni. They were the only proper mates I had here and now I don’t have a house for 2nd year and I’ve not got much in the way of friends as I have spent most of my time with this girl I am seeing, my flat is also terrible but I won’t go into detail. I have asked some people who I am currently acquaintances with if they have got houses sorted in hopes of asking to live with them, sadly they have all sorted them though. Is it too late now as when I go back to uni it will be late January, I also feel it is too late to join a society and that most friend groups have already formed. Is there any advice people could give both in the way of meeting new friends at this stage or housing. Thanks
Kindly take your time and make more friends who add value to you and be positive thence you will always emerge victorious.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Perhaps focus on getting to know the people on your course more, what I did when I first started university was to sit in a different place each time next to different people so that I would get to know everyone, and from this you're more likely to find people you get on with. It's not too late to join a society, if you are nervous about going to one though go with another friend The people there will have similar interests to you and they may even need someone to find houses with.

Try asking on your course group chat and university Facebook pages if they need someone to live with, there will likely be a few people on your course, and even more throughout the university. Check the freshers site on Facebook for people needing someone to fill a spare room. You can meet with different people, and if you find a couple you get on with then find a place with them.

It can be stressful when house plans fall through, just remember lots of people will be in a similar position. Of course it is ideal to move in with friends, but just see moving in new people as a chance to broaden your social circle.

I hope this helps some.

- Rosie
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there!

So there is a lot of pressure (unnecessarily) put on first-years to sign a house contract - you might be surprised and many students won't have actually signed up a house yet. I would advise starting a sports or society and see who you meet there. Once time has passed and you feel like you really need to have a room nailed down there is always lots of houseshares going on (since people drop out of houses and need a space filling), so my advise would be speak to people on your courses, halls, societies etc., and see if there are any sparerooms in houses, or use a website like SpareRoom to search for one

Malachy - University of Liverpool
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Perhaps focus on getting to know the people on your course more, what I did when I first started university was to sit in a different place each time next to different people so that I would get to know everyone, and from this you're more likely to find people you get on with. It's not too late to join a society, if you are nervous about going to one though go with another friend The people there will have similar interests to you and they may even need someone to find houses with.

Try asking on your course group chat and university Facebook pages if they need someone to live with, there will likely be a few people on your course, and even more throughout the university. Check the freshers site on Facebook for people needing someone to fill a spare room. You can meet with different people, and if you find a couple you get on with then find a place with them.

It can be stressful when house plans fall through, just remember lots of people will be in a similar position. Of course it is ideal to move in with friends, but just see moving in new people as a chance to broaden your social circle.

I hope this helps some.

- Rosie
yeah I could give joining a society a go im not opposed to joining by myself im quite social so I could meet new people so long as it isn’t very cliquey. The only issue with joining a spare room in a house though I feel is that I’ve read some of the horror stories on here with people who did that in contrast to very few positive cases. Thanks though I’ll give it a go if it’s not too late then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.9%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.32%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads