The Student Room Group

Covid Vaccination

Why do we have a 1st, 2nd and a booster vaccine and still get the virus? Any medical expert to make me understand?
Reply 1
vaccines greatly reduce the likelihood of you catching the virus, and reduce the severity of symptoms if you do catch it, but they don't make you 100% immune. i don't think there is any medication/vaccination that is 100% effective.
breakthrough infections can happen for a bunch of reasons- i'm not sure if we actually know why it happens with covid, but it could be down to the biology of the person infected or a mutation in the virus.
The vaccine isn't designed to stop you getting the vaccine in the first place, (although there is evidence that it has some benefit there), it's designed to stop you becoming gravely ill.
Original post by writemypapers
Why do we have a 1st, 2nd and a booster vaccine and still get the virus? Any medical expert to make me understand?

Google "sterilising immunity" and understand the difference between that and other types of protection.

immunity
[ĭ-mu´nĭ-te]
"the condition of being immune; the protection against infectious disease conferred either by the immune response generated by immunization or previous infection or by other nonimmunologic factors. It encompasses the capacity to distinguish foreign material from self, and to neutralize, eliminate, or metabolize that which is foreign (nonself) by the physiologic mechanisms of the immune response."

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/immunity

Quick Reply