Extenuating Circumstances

Watch this thread
e.m1002
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm needing some help regarding Postgraduate funding, please. I applied for a Postgraduate Loan in 2020 and began a course in Paramedic Science. I had to suspend the course for a year due to the pandemic, and my loan was suspended until 2021. I then studied in 2021 until May, when I was forced to drop out due to my mental health.

I now want to go back to university to study an MA in English Literature. My question is, would extenuating circumstances still apply to me due to my having suspended my loan once? My occupational therapist with the Community Mental Health team are happy to write me a letter explaining why I dropped out and the affect my mental health has on me, and I am currently receiving Personal Independence Payment for it as well. Does this sound like reasonable grounds for extenuating circumstances? Is it possible I would be able to receive the full Master's loan again so that I can study the English Literature course?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by e.m1002)
I'm needing some help regarding Postgraduate funding, please. I applied for a Postgraduate Loan in 2020 and began a course in Paramedic Science. I had to suspend the course for a year due to the pandemic, and my loan was suspended until 2021. I then studied in 2021 until May, when I was forced to drop out due to my mental health.

I now want to go back to university to study an MA in English Literature. My question is, would extenuating circumstances still apply to me due to my having suspended my loan once? My occupational therapist with the Community Mental Health team are happy to write me a letter explaining why I dropped out and the affect my mental health has on me, and I am currently receiving Personal Independence Payment for it as well. Does this sound like reasonable grounds for extenuating circumstances? Is it possible I would be able to receive the full Master's loan again so that I can study the English Literature course?
Hi, you mentioned you dropped out - did you withdraw from the course?

Thanks, Isaac
e.m1002
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, you mentioned you dropped out - did you withdraw from the course?

Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

I did, yes. I'm in the process of getting a letter from them confirming this.

Many thanks,
Emily
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by e.m1002)
Hi Isaac,

I did, yes. I'm in the process of getting a letter from them confirming this.

Many thanks,
Emily
You won't be eligible for further postgraduate funding unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons. You mentioned Mental Health which is a valid reason if evidence can be provided and deemed valid by our assessors.

You can find out more about the evidence requirement here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads