The Student Room Group

Does Japanese Studies at University of Sheffield teach Japanese Language?

hiya, looking for anyone who has done BA Japanese Studies at Sheffield with or without foundation year. Planning to study Japanese Studies at Sheffield in September with a foundation year. Will I be learning the Japanese language at an advanced and fluent level or is it more introductory, is there an equal emphasis on both language and culture/history? or just purely culture/history?
Yes :smile: I believe it also teaces some cultural information too
Original post by thea_exe
hiya, looking for anyone who has done BA Japanese Studies at Sheffield with or without foundation year. Planning to study Japanese Studies at Sheffield in September with a foundation year. Will I be learning the Japanese language at an advanced and fluent level or is it more introductory, is there an equal emphasis on both language and culture/history? or just purely culture/history?

I remeber from an open day they do a mixture of language and history and culture with an emphasis on language. They also look into the relation that Japan has with the Korean Peninsula and with China if I remember correctly. Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by thea_exe

Third year Japanese Studies student at Shef here! For the single honours course, its half language and half culture, but you’ll probably be spending most of your time learning the language outside of class.

I don’t know about foundation years, but most people start from complete beginner (there is also a separate class for those who did A level Japanese I believe), and then hope to reach around JLPT N2 (around business level Japanese) by the end of fourth year. Obviously, some people reach higher or lower than that based on effort and language skill + work put into the year abroad.
Reply 4
I studied Japanese at a different uni, but from what I know, Japanese Studies at Sheffield has a intense language component, with the aim of reaching at least N2 level of the JLPT by the end of the degree. There are cultural modules too, but you will certainly have a heavy component of your degree focusing on language fluency.

If you prefer cultural study to intense language study, perhaps look at the East Asian Studies degree there - it is a lot more flexible with regards to what you can study :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest