Lulo34
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Best way of revising for an A*?
Notes?
choopydooduts
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
From someone who got their grades up from D/E and sometimes even U to A/A*
- Don't waste time rewriting notes
- Make flashcards for all the mechanisms and practice them RELIGIOUSLY
- Use pre-made flashcards from quizlet on specific chapters to test your recall
- Make sure you know all the specific equations such as the contact process
- Do as many past paper questions as you can. this is seriously the best way to get your grades up
- I found the CGP revision guides really useful, aswell as Eliot Rintoul on youtube.
- do loads and loads and loads of practice question i know i already said it but it is so important
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I found that my life got easier by actually understanding topics (I used chemguide) and not objectively trying to cram.
aesha_p
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by choopydooduts)
From someone who got their grades up from D/E and sometimes even U to A/A*
- Don't waste time rewriting notes
- Make flashcards for all the mechanisms and practice them RELIGIOUSLY
- Use pre-made flashcards from quizlet on specific chapters to test your recall
- Make sure you know all the specific equations such as the contact process
- Do as many past paper questions as you can. this is seriously the best way to get your grades up
- I found the CGP revision guides really useful, aswell as Eliot Rintoul on youtube.
- do loads and loads and loads of practice question i know i already said it but it is so important
why should you not rewrite your notes, i find that often we miss out things in class and by rewriting notes it helps the information stay in my brainas well as ensuring everything i need to know, i know
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Lulo34)
Best way of revising for an A*?
Notes?
Hi there.

I personally made clear, concise and easy to understand notes and then did as many past papers as possible. I added to my notes via post it notes for Qs I dropped lots of marks on/ for content I didn't include.

Best wishes.
aesha_p
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

I personally made clear, concise and easy to understand notes and then did as many past papers as possible. I added to my notes via post it notes for Qs I dropped lots of marks on/ for content I didn't include.

Best wishes.
ah okay, smart. im assuming you got your past papers from pmt? or is there anywhere else you can suggest?
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by aesha_p)
ah okay, smart. im assuming you got your past papers from pmt? or is there anywhere else you can suggest?
MME has some old version past papers which you could just use for practice.

Also Chemrevise notes provide a great overall summary of the whole specification and practicals if you decide not to do notes.
Lulo34
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

Best wishes.
Are you able to share these notes if u still have them? Thank you
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Lulo34)
Are you able to share these notes if u still have them? Thank you
I'm not sure where they are exactly - in all honesty. I think it'd be better to make your own notes anyways as you can understand it all yourself, even though it will be hard work, and note making is a form of revision although the info only stays in your short term memory (hence the past papers).

I can always try and find them if you still want them - I just need some time to do so.
choopydooduts
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by aesha_p)
why should you not rewrite your notes, i find that often we miss out things in class and by rewriting notes it helps the information stay in my brainas well as ensuring everything i need to know, i know
it's honestly a waste of time in my opinion. if it works for you that's great, but i really don't think it is that effective for most people
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by choopydooduts)
it's honestly a waste of time in my opinion. if it works for you that's great, but i really don't think it is that effective for most people
That's true - everyone learns in their own time and has different methods of revising which are more suitable to them. I do feel that past papers are a great resource to support revision regardless of the individuals learning style though.
choopydooduts
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
completely agree. especially with science a levels, after a while you just learn the format of every question and its mark scheme. you're pretty much guaranteed to do well if you do that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads