The Student Room Group

He’s conservative!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
Why are you posting through the anonymous feature? :confused:

Oh woops that was an accident
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Oh woops that was an accident

Sometimes happens within the relationships forum if you are using dragon, mozilla or opera web browsers.
TSR seems to be designed for internet explorer or chrome.
Lol at all the bitter tories in the comments.
Original post by incognitowizard
If you consider contemporary, Neo-Liberal conservative beliefs to greatly differ from your beliefs, then you must be pretty far down the rabbit hole.

What - does the idea of someone supporting moderate taxation, limited government, and fiscal responsibility invoke feelings of nausea within you or something?

Get a grip.

ah yes, "fiscal responsibility" codeword for "poor people deserve poverty".
Original post by Anonymous
I personally could never date a tory because they are supporting a government who:

Only care about the wealthy and follow the "make the rich richer and the poor poorer mentality".
Don't follow the rules that they themselves make.
Don't take responsibility for their actions.
Clearly don't care about anyone but themselves.
Lie, lie and lie.

I could honestly go on tbh but the government is so corrupt and anyone who disagrees is blind.

Why does being a 'tory' mean that you have to support the current Conservative administration? As far as I'm concerned, real small 'c' conservatives are by and large severely disillusioned with the Johnson government, and ridiculous sweeping statements like this only exacerbate the polarisation which is all too pervasive in contemporary politics.

And even if you are a supporter of the Conservative Party itself, that doesn't mean you have to support the current administration, either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Where is he from do you mind me asking? What part of the country? Was he privately educated? These are often factors into why they support a specific political party.
Reply 26
I knew a few couples who vote for different parties, and some that don't discuss politics with each other at all (and who do not know for whom their spouse votes!)

i don't think it's necessarily a bar. It wouldn't be a necessary bar for me unless they were mini-Moggs or Thatcherites

My mrs is pretty much on the same level as me, so the only thing I need to worry about is the dreampop she insists on listening to
Is he really into politics? Are you? Also plenty of young people just vote the way their parents do without knowing much about it.
Original post by gjd800
I knew a few couples who vote for different parties, and some that don't discuss politics with each other at all (and who do not know for whom their spouse votes!)

i don't think it's necessarily a bar. It wouldn't be a necessary bar for me unless they were mini-Moggs or Thatcherites

My mrs is pretty much on the same level as me, so the only thing I need to worry about is the dreampop she insists on listening to

Dreampop is brilliant you should get on board haha
It was going so well with this guy I’m chatting to. Like him quite a bit. Then he said he’s a conservative!!

I’m so put off. Is it possible to have something casual with such differing beliefs? Could you stand it? I don’t know what to do.

The point has already been made, but it is worth saying again. In and of itself, saying that he is a "conservative" is pretty meaningless, nor does it necessarily means that your beliefs differ drastically. Because of our voting system the two main parties contain an incredibly broad range of ideas and beliefs. Saying he's a conservative just means he falls somewhere on a very broad spectrum. Whether or not you can still have a relationship with him depends on a great many factors. His actual views may be quite moderate. He may identify as a conservative but may not like this current government. It may be that whilst he votes conservative, he does so because his family do and doesn't really give it much thought. It may be that he rarely actually thinks about politics, or has given thought to all the same issues as you but reached a different conclusions. It may be that you have misinterpreted or misunderstood what it might mean to vote conservative. Or it may be that you are very politically motivated, that your political ideology is very important to you and you just cannot be with someone who doesn't share your own views. I think it's a shame if your immediate reaction to hearing that someone votes conservative is to immediately assume that your beliefs differ drastically, particularly if you're basing that on assumptions. You may wish to find out more about him and his political beliefs, but equally you may not. It's up to you and you are your own person. Ultimately people have to be compatible to be in a relationship. If you're not, you're not.
Original post by nathanbuch22
Why does being a 'tory' mean that you have to support the current Conservative administration? As far as I'm concerned, real small 'c' conservatives are by and large severely disillusioned with the Johnson government, and ridiculous sweeping statements like this only exacerbate the polarisation which is all too pervasive in contemporary politics.

And even if you are a supporter of the Conservative Party itself, that doesn't mean you have to support the current administration, either.

I meant tory as in someone who supports the conservative government. The current administration has been screwing up and lying constantly since at least 2016. If you're still planning on voting for them after all they've done and failed to do then this is the administration that you're voting for because they've only gotten worse throughout the years and they will not change for the better for a very long time. If you don't like the current administration then why would you vote for them again??
Reply 31
This speaks more about your own narrow range of thinking with huge generalisations and limited viewpoints (where has this come from?) and who are you gaining status from to just 'ditch' this guy because he say he is conservative?

Its sad really - if you get on like a house on fire, share the things you love and start to have the honesty to explore each others underlying reasons for outlook on life - But then maybe he might be better of without you?
It was going so well with this guy I’m chatting to. Like him quite a bit. Then he said he’s a conservative!!

I’m so put off. Is it possible to have something casual with such differing beliefs? Could you stand it? I don’t know what to do.

I’d personally say it depends how extreme his beliefs are. If he doesn’t believe in things you would consider basic rights/respect/etc. (e.g if he thinks gay people shouldn’t be allowed to marry) then bin him off 100% but if he’s got more central beliefs that are conservative leaning then give it a chance - you might be able to have some interesting political debates and change his mind on some things :smile:
Original post by Muttly
This speaks more about your own narrow range of thinking with huge generalisations and limited viewpoints (where has this come from?) and who are you gaining status from to just 'ditch' this guy because he say he is conservative?

Its sad really - if you get on like a house on fire, share the things you love and start to have the honesty to explore each others underlying reasons for outlook on life - But then maybe he might be better of without you?

I think this is quite harsh alongside others comments here, after all I make this thread because I don’t like my reaction and am unsure about it. I am still gonna see the guy. We barely know each other and weren’t getting along great so was looking at what to do. But thanks for saying he’d be better off without me , when I’m just worried he’ll be homophobic, lacking empathy for working class people, like every other Conservative I personally know (not hundreds)
I personally could never date a tory because they are supporting a government who:

Only care about the wealthy and follow the "make the rich richer and the poor poorer mentality".
Don't follow the rules that they themselves make.
Don't take responsibility for their actions.
Clearly don't care about anyone but themselves.
Lie, lie and lie.

I could honestly go on tbh but the government is so corrupt and anyone who disagrees is blind.

Yeah... I hate Tories too, but other than yr v first point, none of that is stuff unique to Tories or even politicians. I get the impression it's a direct nod to 'Partygate' which isn't too helpful in terms of discussing ideology. Lots of people had dodgy covid parties, am I not to date anyone who is friends with them either?

Like if I start discounting people because they support anything about not following rules or taking responsibility etc, then I'm writing off an awful lot of arts, culture and media... pretty much anything with a hint of controversy and I'll prob run out of non-unbearable people to date very quickly.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I meant tory as in someone who supports the conservative government. The current administration has been screwing up and lying constantly since at least 2016. If you're still planning on voting for them after all they've done and failed to do then this is the administration that you're voting for because they've only gotten worse throughout the years and they will not change for the better for a very long time. If you don't like the current administration then why would you vote for them again??

You don't have to think that a party is a shining beacon of light to vote for them. Many people don't like politicians generally, but vote for the least worst option. Whilst I appreciate the points against voting conservative in 2019, the alternative was Jeremy Corbyn's labour party, which was not an attractive voting option for a great many reasons. Again, you may have adored Jeremy Corbyn, but it's important to understand why his labour party was not seen as a viable voting alternative for many. Speaking as objectively as I can (and I'm very much a floating voter), my own view is that Jeremy Corbyn's labour party was a very poor opposition. So whilst I have no love at all for Boris Johnson's conservative party, I do understand why people voted for him over Jeremy Corbyn's labour party. And regardless of your own views, you should at least be able to understand why someone would do that.

As for not voting for the current administration again, what makes you think it'll be the current administration at the next election? I don't rate Boris Johnson's chances are lasting until the next election. His cabinet is currently stuffed full of people appointed due to their loyalty and not their ability. If he's not in post at the next election the conservative party may look very different depending on who is the leader. Sunak, Truss, Gove, or even someone like Hunt could all have very different cabinet ministers and have very different looks to their administrations. At the same time, the strength of the labour party at that time of the next election is also relevant. Starmer had a bit of a slow start, but is gaining momentum now. If he keeps that going he may be a viable option regardless of the leader. But if he slows down, it may be that he is less attractive to some voters than certain conservative leaders and administrations would be.

Parties change considerably over time in personnel and identity. Thatcher's government was very different to Cameron's, which in turn is very different to Johnson's. Johnson openly expelled moderate conservatives like Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve, who were not only more important but quite integral to the sort of government that Cameron seemed to want, at least initially. Equally, Jeremy Corbyn's labour party is very different to Starmer's, and indeed many of his most ardent supporters have been pushed into the background. Politics is a complicated arena. Different people are attracted to different things, and their options constantly change. There's always a reason why people will vote one way and not another.
I don't mind going out with lefties, so long as they shave their armpits.
I think this is quite harsh alongside others comments here, after all I make this thread because I don’t like my reaction and am unsure about it. I am still gonna see the guy. We barely know each other and weren’t getting along great so was looking at what to do. But thanks for saying he’d be better off without me , when I’m just worried he’ll be homophobic, lacking empathy for working class people, like every other Conservative I personally know (not hundreds)

I'm sure you don't think that every Conservative voter is homophobic and lacks empathy towards working class people, though I suppose you may think they all lack empathy for working class people depending on your definition of that. Either way, one thing you have hopefully learned from this thread is how broad political views can be. You're getting on well with this guy, so carry on with that. If he holds a view that is a red line for you, that'll come out eventually. It always does and there's always a risk of it. But if being a conservative voter alone isn't a red line for you, there's no reason not to carry on enjoying his company and getting to know him better.
Original post by mnot
You know the conservative party are typically the most supported party in the UK, and disproportionately so amongst males.

Despite Twitter depicting every Tory voter as a bigot, it’s really a very wide platform. Basically anyone who supports limited government/free market/low taxation or even frankly people who invest in property or commodities are likely to vote conservative.

It’s genuinely very judgmental to pinhole someone purely on the basis of being “conservative”, is every UK lefty a reincarnation of Castro or mao...

Why would anyone who believes in limited government/free market/low taxation vote for The Conservative Party that has delivered the highest tax burden since the 1950s, the greatest expansion of the state in the lifetime of the majority of people, and has clamped down on basic civic liberties?

I'd be happy to date someone with differing political views (within reason), but claiming to believe in certain principles then voting for a political party which does not practice such principles implies lack of political awareness or complete insincerity. Neither of which are desirable traits.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Why would anyone who believes in limited government/free market/low taxation vote for The Conservative Party that has delivered the highest tax burden since the 1950s, the greatest expansion of the state in the lifetime of the majority of people, and has clamped down on basic civic liberties?

Tactical voting along the lines of the 'best of a very bad lot' strategy.
With plenty of uk voters disliking all the available/realistic options but opting to vote for the local candidates and political parties that they dislike the least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending