How would failing one essay affect me?

Watch
Cdoc007
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So this is a bit of a vent, but mostly a practical question. I kind of messed up by leaving my three essays for the autumn semester to the last minute: I haven't been handling the 2nd year workload amazingly, so I came home pretty exhausted, and had my driving test too, which resulted in procrastination. I'm not a good last minute person, when I do coursework, either, I get too stressed. Consequentially I've had a pretty rubbish few days. It's also Luckily I think one of those essays is pretty great, one is alright, but unfortunately I think the third one is one of the worst things I've ever handed in. It's with a module that I didn't find that easy over autumn semester, and I realise now it required a little bit extra planning than usual which I didn't do. It's an essay about norse myth, and it's long, waffly, with super abstract points, and various issues with formatting that I didn't have to do. The rubbish thing is to that it was 80% of my grade for that module. I was hoping somebody could help me out...I'm hoping I don't fail it but if I do, what bearing will it have on my second year? It's one 80% of module essay, out of six modules, three of which I'm yet to start yet. If I bounce back in spring semester will I be all good? Feeling pretty bad atm, would appreciate advice.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Different institutions will handle it differently and so you really need to be looking at your course handbook.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Cdoc007)
So this is a bit of a vent, but mostly a practical question. I kind of messed up by leaving my three essays for the autumn semester to the last minute: I haven't been handling the 2nd year workload amazingly, so I came home pretty exhausted, and had my driving test too, which resulted in procrastination. I'm not a good last minute person, when I do coursework, either, I get too stressed. Consequentially I've had a pretty rubbish few days. It's also Luckily I think one of those essays is pretty great, one is alright, but unfortunately I think the third one is one of the worst things I've ever handed in. It's with a module that I didn't find that easy over autumn semester, and I realise now it required a little bit extra planning than usual which I didn't do. It's an essay about norse myth, and it's long, waffly, with super abstract points, and various issues with formatting that I didn't have to do. The rubbish thing is to that it was 80% of my grade for that module. I was hoping somebody could help me out...I'm hoping I don't fail it but if I do, what bearing will it have on my second year? It's one 80% of module essay, out of six modules, three of which I'm yet to start yet. If I bounce back in spring semester will I be all good? Feeling pretty bad atm, would appreciate advice.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing As the other poster said, it depends partially on your Uni's rules. However, typically if you fail a module (i.e. go below 40%) you usually have to resit that module and it will be capped at 40% - unless you have extenuating circumstances. Usually you will be asked to resit a coursework assignment in the summer, and if you pass this then you can proceed to the next year. Often the work isn't as bad as you first expect!! So hopefully you will pass in the end

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Cdoc007)
Hi! Cdoc007

I'm so sorry to hear this

Some lecturers, modules, courses, unis, let you retake that piece of work over the summer or for you to complete another similar assignment to make up for your grades.
Hopefully, it won't impact your overall grade that you graduate with, as some universities will exclude your worst module from each year or count second year as 40% and third year as 60%. It would be worth checking your university policy on this.

Also, I use GradeHub to calculate my grades and what I need to achieve to get a certain grade overall. It saves all your assignment grades, module grades extra to do all the calculating for you. I found it to be really useful.
https://gradehub.io/register/start

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.5%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.95%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.33%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (254)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.41%

Watched Threads