The Student Room Group

I used to have loads of friends but now I have 1

A few years ago I was a really different person, I wouldn’t think about what I said affecting the people I was talking about, I would be rude because I thought it was funny. That’s not to say the people I was talking about were completely innocent but I lost almost all my friends because of it and going into lockdown meant we went even longer not addressing the situation. I wish I could go back in time with the mindset I have now, I’ve changed so much and I’m proud of it but it’s a shame I had to lose almost everyone to become this person. Maybe it’s what I deserve…
Reply 1
Its a funny old world, but the most open and honest thing you have done is to acknowledge the hurt you may have caused to someone else by being rude to them. I am curious to know if someone else was hurting you by their comments or actions to you during that time?

One of the things you might consider doing is apologising to each individual person you maybe said something rude to? If their friendship continuing mattered to you it might just show a hand of peace? If you don't feel you can do that or maybe its inappropriate for what ever reason the only thing you can do is plough on. Talk to you remaining friends and tell them you don't want to be rude to anyone else because you realise it has caused a lot of hurt. Rumours about reparation can go round as quickly as rumours about being a B -

Sometimes the 'bigging up' behaviour of being rude to others is done in groups for power and prestige. Is this you? It's called bullying.
You deserve real credit for 'finally growing up' and changing your outlook to your behaviour toward others. Can you become a 'role model' to others now even though it might be 'work in progress?' So many people in their old age are not sweet old people (mellowed with age) they are the same nasty old men and nasty old women of a lifetime!!

Well karma sometimes hits us back, but if you are determined to do at least one random kind act to anyone whom you meet in the course of a day and do your best to use kind gentle words ....... who knows where you might end up one day? You deserve so much credit.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Its a funny old world, but the most open and honest thing you have done is to acknowledge the hurt you may have caused to someone else by being rude to them. I am curious to know if someone else was hurting you by their comments or actions to you during that time?

One of the things you might consider doing is apologising to each individual person you maybe said something rude to? If their friendship continuing mattered to you it might just show a hand of peace? If you don't feel you can do that or maybe its inappropriate for what ever reason the only thing you can do is plough on. Talk to you remaining friends and tell them you don't want to be rude to anyone else because you realise it has caused a lot of hurt. Rumours about reparation can go round as quickly as rumours about being a B -

Sometimes the 'bigging up' behaviour of being rude to others is done in groups for power and prestige. Is this you? It's called bullying.
You deserve real credit for 'finally growing up' and changing your outlook to your behaviour toward others. Can you become a 'role model' to others now even though it might be 'work in progress?' So many people in their old age are not sweet old people (mellowed with age) they are the same nasty old men and nasty old women of a lifetime!!

Well karma sometimes hits us back, but if you are determined to do at least one random kind act to anyone whom you meet in the course of a day and do your best to use kind gentle words ....... who knows where you might end up one day? You deserve so much credit.

Yeah people used to say rude things to me, usually justified it by saying I was rude first which wasn’t always true. I also felt quite left out a lot of the time which led to me expressing my frustration to other friends who I could trust just went and told them everything I said. They got their friends to threaten me. All in all, they didn’t deserve to be spoken about the way I spoke about them but I don’t think I deserved to be left out so often, they would go out and not invite me because they ‘knew’ I wouldn’t be allowed to come anyway. They would whisper things they didn’t want to tell me which was their choice I guess but no one wants to feel like they’re not trusted or liked.

Towards the end it was clear they didn’t want to be my friend calling me ‘bad vibes’ but sometimes I wonder if I was a bit ‘kinder’ that would’ve even changed the outcome

Quick Reply

Latest