Do you need a tutor to get A's and A*s at A level

Watch
val7322
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Im doing biology chemistry maths. I moved from a state school to a private school for sixth form. I'm not sure whether its the norm or whether its a private school thing but most pupils have tutors and they all get really high grades. Is a tutor worth it?
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
I'd say it depends on how you find the subjects - I did biology chemistry psychology and got A*s in bio and psychology no issue alone. Chemistry I struggled with more and did consider a tutor, I didn't end up getting one but it probably would've helped. I went to a state school and others took those subjects and didn't need a tutor, whereas others did, if you can afford it and don't get A/A*s easily alone then I'd definitely consider it.
coco:)
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I think if you're hardworking enough you wouldn't need one as there's usually enough material and support out there to help. If you're struggling with something I would say going to your teacher or asking your peers is probably good enough. Tutors come in handy when it comes to directing your study and helping you to be motivated and focused but you could easily do that yourself. I guess they could also give you more resources and offer another viewpoint on your work but that really depends on if you really need that now - maybe closer to exams if you find that things aren't improving. So I personally don't think you need a tutor (unless your teachers are rubbish) because you can usually find all the help you need for free. I got A's and A*'s without a tutor if that helps to more directly answer your question.
ArcticChimera
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I can't speak for the sciences specifically. However, I got all A*s at A Level (and GCSE, with 1 A) in various subjects, and did not use a tutor. I am not extraordinarily smart at all, I just worked very hard.

I would say try without a tutor. They'll only be pointing you in the right direction; if you're already reasonably decent at these subjects I think you'll be fine There's plenty of help online in the form of videos etc. and your teachers should always be willing to walk you through the topics you're unsure about.
Teweei
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
It depends on how useful you find your school teachers. In my country and my school the teachers were downright irresponsible. So, most of us had no choice but to attend private tutors. It was so bad to a point where most of us; including myself left school.

However, even the tutors you find may not always be the best for you. If you feel you are struggling with a certain topic do find tutors but if you feel as if you could do a better job alone do that too. After struggling my way through with numerous tutors I'm telling you I found so many useful resources online for free which helped my way through more than tutors. Gotta do bits of internet digging tho. The only downside of online resources and self studying (if you are not attending school) is that if you have doubts you have no one to clarify the doubts which sometimes may mislead you, especially if you are doing subjective subjects like English lit .
EmilyClarke24
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by val7322)
Im doing biology chemistry maths. I moved from a state school to a private school for sixth form. I'm not sure whether its the norm or whether its a private school thing but most pupils have tutors and they all get really high grades. Is a tutor worth it?
Hi,

I also studied biology and chem at a level.
I always found biology okay but generally struggled with chemistry.

I found the best way for me was doing as many past papers as possible and from there doing more practice questions on the areas I was struggling in. I also watched a lot of youtube videos for something different and found them really useful.

My advice would be to try what you think works best for you in terms of revision and then if you are still struggling contact a tutor. In general it's not essential to get high grades.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
I studied biology, chemistry and maths A Level at a state sixth form and got 3A*s (back when we had official exams). I had no private tutors at any point in my entire education.
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago
I’d say no. IMO, they teach the skills that is already teachable and they also help with being consistent - all of which you can do for free. It should be a last resort kind of thing.
Last edited by 0ptics; 3 days ago
val7322
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I studied biology, chemistry and maths A Level at a state sixth form and got 3A*s (back when we had official exams). I had no private tutors at any point in my entire education.
Mesopotamian. wow, what were your revison techniques for each subject
Last edited by val7322; 3 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads