Have I chosen the wrong subjects?

Watch
xx_kyhron04_xx
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Ok so I literally can't find anything else anywhere so I'm making a new post.

So I started my A-Levels in September 2021 and and I did law, philosophy and psychology. I adore philosophy and psychology but I unfortunately despise law and as a result, it's my weakest subject.

I had attempted to change it 3 weeks in however I was told that its new to everyone and was told to give it a chance. I didn't really want to argue with her so I agreed.

However, since around November, I've been getting heavily back into art (I did it for my Gcse and got a 5). I feel like I've rapidly improving and would absolutely love to do it further but with the subjects I've chosen, that seems impossible.

There is the option of dropping out and waiting for next September to roll around and apply to either sixth form again or college, but to be honest, I don't think that's a very good idea lol.

I know for a fact I'm gonna fail law so there's no way I'm coming out of sixth form with 3 A*. I'm certain that I want to progress through either psychology or art.

What do you guys think, what are my options and what would be the best one (I'm in the UK). Thanks so much in advance 😊
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Does your college/6th form do AS levels first? If so, you could follow all 3 subjects up until you get your AS qualification at the end of the 1st year, then drop law, and take art instead if you want, and then year 2 would be= AS art, A2 philosophy and psychology. And then you could take a 3rd year if they would allow you, to do your A2 art
xx_kyhron04_xx
Rep:
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
Does your college/6th form do AS levels first? If so, you could follow all 3 subjects up until you get your AS qualification at the end of the 1st year, then drop law, and take art instead if you want, and then year 2 would be= AS art, A2 philosophy and psychology. And then you could take a 3rd year if they would allow you, to do your A2 art
I don't think so, my school doesn't do AS levels full stop lajsjejr
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by xx_kyhron04_xx)
I don't think so, my school doesn't do AS levels full stop lajsjejr
thats frustrating then, as youve already done about half the year of the 1st year content. Its best to talk to your tutor or a teacher about your options, as they can advise you most suitably
xx_kyhron04_xx
Rep:
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
thats frustrating then, as youve already done about half the year of the 1st year content. Its best to talk to your tutor or a teacher about your options, as they can advise you most suitably
okay ill see if I can have a chat with them tomorrow, thanks a lot
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by xx_kyhron04_xx)
Ok so I literally can't find anything else anywhere so I'm making a new post.

So I started my A-Levels in September 2021 and and I did law, philosophy and psychology. I adore philosophy and psychology but I unfortunately despise law and as a result, it's my weakest subject.

I had attempted to change it 3 weeks in however I was told that its new to everyone and was told to give it a chance. I didn't really want to argue with her so I agreed.

However, since around November, I've been getting heavily back into art (I did it for my Gcse and got a 5). I feel like I've rapidly improving and would absolutely love to do it further but with the subjects I've chosen, that seems impossible.

There is the option of dropping out and waiting for next September to roll around and apply to either sixth form again or college, but to be honest, I don't think that's a very good idea lol.

I know for a fact I'm gonna fail law so there's no way I'm coming out of sixth form with 3 A*. I'm certain that I want to progress through either psychology or art.

What do you guys think, what are my options and what would be the best one (I'm in the UK). Thanks so much in advance 😊
Hi @xx_kyhron04_xx), it sounds like you have a serious decision to make. If you truly feel like you want to pursue art in further education then I would advise dropping out and restarting college in September, its really common so don't worry you won't be the only one. Then you can take psychology again, which keeps your options open should you want to pursue that. You would also be more likely to leave college with three really good grades because you actually enjoyed your subjects. A Level art can be quite challenging and does require a lot of work but if you're willing to put in that work then I would say go for it!
-Grace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.5%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.95%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.33%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (254)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.41%

Watched Threads