Braces at 18 - best options?

Watch
SupposedlyIronic
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Basically, the more I've thought of my teeth the more I just dislike them. I wasn't really taken to the dentist much as a kid and they're not in the best condition. Like they're not absolutely dreadful but they're not really straight and yeah.

Just wondering what my options are really? I've heard of Invisalign and Smile Direct and stuff, wanted to know if anyone had any experiences or advice with anything like that.

Thank you!
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Prior to getting any form of braces your teeth (and gums) I believe also need to be in a healthy state. You should therefore at the bare minimum visit a hygienist as well as visiting a dentist and sorting out any issues. Once everything is sorted out, you can then discuss with your dentist possible treatment options. Given your age, there will likely be a cost associated with treatments.

You should be visiting a hygienist about once a year and a dentist about once every six months. Should you have any current teeth issues they will probably never get better on their own - only worse - and therefore delaying a visit could mean you require more expensive treatments in the future.
Last edited by 0le; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Due to your age, it will take longer for your teeth to move, which means it will be more costly. I have not heard good things about smile direct, so out of the two Invisalign is probably the better option. However, you should visit a dentist, who can refer you to an orthodontist as they see fit. Only then can you be properly assessed on whether you need/want braces or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%