Edexcel International A level Mathematics

Watch this thread
zlyn18
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I just got back my October 2021 results for P3 and was wondering what was required to achieve an A* overall in Maths with all my modules combined.

I've done P1, P2, S1 and P3 and will be doing P4 and M1 in May 2022. I got a UMS score of 90 on my P1, P2 and S1 but my P3 has a UMS score of 79. And I was looking at the Pearson website and it says that for an A* you have to have a minimum of 180 UMS for C34 but it doesn't say anything about P3 and P4.

Am I still likely to get an A* or is it only an A now? Please help I'm really confused by the grade boundaries and requirements for an overall A*.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by zlyn18)
So I just got back my October 2021 results for P3 and was wondering what was required to achieve an A* overall in Maths with all my modules combined.

I was looking at the Pearson website and it says that for an A* you have to have a minimum of 180 UMS for C34 but it doesn't say anything about P3 and P4.

Am I still likely to get an A* or is it only an A now? Please help I'm really confused by the grade boundaries and requirements for an overall A*.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...pec-Issue3.pdf page 74

For International Advanced Level in Mathematics, A* will be awarded to students who have achieved grade A overall (at least 480 of the 600 maximum uniform mark) and at least 180 of the 200 combined maximum uniform mark for the P3 and P4 units.
fakuet
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
You can't get an A* with 79 for P3. Even if you got 100 on P4, you'd only be at 179/180 for the A*. You'll be 1 UMS point short... I suggest you re-take P3 in June. I will also be re-taking it, I got 85 UMS and I don't want to risk missing out on 95 UMS for P4 in Jan.In short, to get an A in A level maths, you need a total of 480 UMS, to get an A*, you need 480 UMS including 180 from P3 and P4 combined.Good luck aiming for that A*, it'll be worth it!
zlyn18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by fakuet)
You can't get an A* with 79 for P3. Even if you got 100 on P4, you'd only be at 179/180 for the A*. You'll be 1 UMS point short... I suggest you re-take P3 in June. I will also be re-taking it, I got 85 UMS and I don't want to risk missing out on 95 UMS for P4 in Jan.In short, to get an A in A level maths, you need a total of 480 UMS, to get an A*, you need 480 UMS including 180 from P3 and P4 combined.Good luck aiming for that A*, it'll be worth it!
thank you for clarifying
mayaelezbawy
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
wait so if I got 260 UMS last year, id only need 220 UMS this year for a B? Because I read somewhere that to get an A at a level I need 80% at A2 and so on. But I may have misunderstood it, could you clarify if you can please.
fakuet
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mayaelezbawy)
wait so if I got 260 UMS last year, id only need 220 UMS this year for a B? Because I read somewhere that to get an A at a level I need 80% at A2 and so on. But I may have misunderstood it, could you clarify if you can please.
It's all dependent on UMS, to get an A, you need 480 UMS across 6 modules. If you have 260 UMS (I'm assuming across 3 modules), you would need 220 in your remaining three. If you are aiming for a B, you would need a total of 420 UMS, so you would only need 160 UMS. But seeing as you got a good score last year, I would aim to go for the A, it is very achievable.

Let me know if that makes sense.
mayaelezbawy
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
It's all dependent on UMS, to get an A, you need 480 UMS across 6 modules. If you have 260 UMS (I'm assuming across 3 modules), you would need 220 in your remaining three. If you are aiming for a B, you would need a total of 420 UMS, so you would only need 160 UMS. But seeing as you got a good score last year, I would aim to go for the A, it is very achievable.

Let me know if that makes sense.
It did thank you! I just thought since you need 90% at A2 for an A*, that it would be the same for other grades. Eg: 80% for an A, 70% for a B, etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (18)
39.13%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.35%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.35%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.7%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.04%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise