Can I be writing up PhD when staring the Scientist Training Programme

Watch
oranges2
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi!

I am looking to apply to the STP this year (2022). If successful, the start date would be September. I am currently in my final year pf my PhD. I was planning on submitting my thesis around August or September time but have just seen the following on the STP website:

'Any postgraduate qualifications that have been included in your application must have been successfully awarded by the start of the programme. It is a requirement of the Higher Education Institutions that applicants must not be enrolled on two academic programmes by start date of the programme'

Does this mean I would have to have submitted my thesis and completed my viva by the STP start date (beginning of September)??

Thank you!
Last edited by oranges2; 5 days ago
medicphd
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
I'm not applying for the STP but I am applying for grad medicine as a final year PhD student. I figure the same rules apply because you'll be enrolled onto a uni programme in the same way I will.

You have to have submitted your thesis, done your viva, done your corrections and had your corrections be accepted before they'll award you the PhD, so you're enrolled with your PhD uni until all of that is finished. So you have to have done all of that before you can enrol on another uni course.
Last edited by medicphd; 5 days ago
oranges2
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 13 hours ago
(Original post by medicphd)
I'm not applying for the STP but I am applying for grad medicine as a final year PhD student. I figure the same rules apply because you'll be enrolled onto a uni programme in the same way I will.

You have to have submitted your thesis, done your viva, done your corrections and had your corrections be accepted before they'll award you the PhD, so you're enrolled with your PhD uni until all of that is finished. So you have to have done all of that before you can enrol on another uni course.
Thank you!

My University only review corrections on four dates per year which means that even if I do all my part before September, they won't review this and put my on the 'pass' list until the following March (the next review date after September). So looks like I won't be able to apply this year
medicphd
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 13 hours ago
(Original post by oranges2)
Thank you!

My University only review corrections on four dates per year which means that even if I do all my part before September, they won't review this and put my on the 'pass' list until the following March (the next review date after September). So looks like I won't be able to apply this year
Maybe it could be worth emailing your current uni detailing your situation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed