I forget to answer the entire question in exams

Watch
rsen1324
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've noticed whilst doing past papers that I sometimes forget to answer the entire question. For example if a question is long and asks to calculate AND explain something, I'll only do the calculation and move on. This ends up costing quite a lot of marks, for a stupid reason. Any tips on how to prevent this?

Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rsen1324)
I've noticed whilst doing past papers that I sometimes forget to answer the entire question. For example if a question is long and asks to calculate AND explain something, I'll only do the calculation and move on. This ends up costing quite a lot of marks, for a stupid reason. Any tips on how to prevent this?
Highlight key words and read the question through again before moving on.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Stop doing it? It doesn't sound a huge brain scratcher of a problem and it's already identified.

Generally for bigger questions ill scribble up a small schedule/checklist of bullet points of how I will present my answer.
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 week ago
coco:)
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Perhaps look at the parts of a question e.g. 1a, 4h, 3d, 6b on the side (there should be one right next to the questions) and tick them off when you answer it? I used to circle them if I was unsure of my answer or just wanted to answer it later on so maybe doing the opposite will help you keep track of what you've done?
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by coco:))
Perhaps look at the parts of a question e.g. 1a, 4h, 3d, 6b on the side (there should be one right next to the questions) and tick them off when you answer it? I used to circle them if I was unsure of my answer or just wanted to answer it later on so maybe doing the opposite will help you keep track of what you've done?
PRSOM.

I also recall the very back page of my actual GCSE Chemistry paper having a 6 mark Q on it. So ensure you go keep on turning your pages and answering the Qs until you see "End of Question Paper" or words similar to this effect.

Perhaps it may also be useful to understand Q words such as calculate, explain, identify which may help you to determine how long to spend on Qs and also improve your exam technique.

Muttley79 has also given some great advice I would also recommend trying.

Best wishes.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 week ago
tinyperson
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
learn from it and move on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.99%
Note taking apps (6)
2.49%
Flashcards (46)
19.09%
Revision guides (15)
6.22%
Past papers (113)
46.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.32%

Watched Threads