jas03
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi, I've gotten offers from unis but when should I be accepting these? I'm waiting for one more offer. Should I be accepting one near results day?
Saflower
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Following. Sorry, I don't know the answer to this. The last time I applied through UCAs I accepted my chosen offers as soon as I'd heard back from all the unis - but that was simply because I knew which uni I wanted to go to, so wanted to lock down the offers.

However, I believe that some unis have a deal regarding their accommodation, that if you make their uni your firm choice by around May time, you are then guaranteed accommodation with them - that may be worth looking into on your unis accommodation page, to see if this is a rule that they state.

I also know that York say that you need to have paid your deposit for accommodation by sometime in May if you're staying on campus, and I believe that requires you making them your firm choice, too.

Sorry I can't give a clear answer regarding the actual application process, though.

Why is it that you want to hold off?
rhiifuu
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
I hope this helps.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...Jan12-22-Other
jas03
Rep:
Thanks! This was very helpful
jas03
Rep:
(Original post by Saflower)
Following. Sorry, I don't know the answer to this. The last time I applied through UCAs I accepted my chosen offers as soon as I'd heard back from all the unis - but that was simply because I knew which uni I wanted to go to, so wanted to lock down the offers.

However, I believe that some unis have a deal regarding their accommodation, that if you make their uni your firm choice by around May time, you are then guaranteed accommodation with them - that may be worth looking into on your unis accommodation page, to see if this is a rule that they state.

I also know that York say that you need to have paid your deposit for accommodation by sometime in May if you're staying on campus, and I believe that requires you making them your firm choice, too.

Sorry I can't give a clear answer regarding the actual application process, though.

Why is it that you want to hold off?
Thank you! This makes complete sense
I think for this year the date for unis to contact applicants is by mid-May, so there is still time. I'm holding off because I applied to Cambridge and I don't find out if I get an offer until 25th January, even though I've heard from all my other choices.
Once I've heard from them and if I get an offer, I'm assuming I can accept this offer? What I'm unsure about is whether you can accept multiple offers for back-up (e.g. if I get an offer from Cambs but don't get the grades, then I'd need a back-up, so then would I need to accept this back-up offer too?)?
Saflower
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by jas03)
Thank you! This makes complete sense
I think for this year the date for unis to contact applicants is by mid-May, so there is still time. I'm holding off because I applied to Cambridge and I don't find out if I get an offer until 25th January, even though I've heard from all my other choices.
Once I've heard from them and if I get an offer, I'm assuming I can accept this offer? What I'm unsure about is whether you can accept multiple offers for back-up (e.g. if I get an offer from Cambs but don't get the grades, then I'd need a back-up, so then would I need to accept this back-up offer too?)?
Ahh I see! Yes, you get to reply to 2 of your offers - you make one your "firm choice", so for example if you get an offer from Cambridge (fingers crossed for you!), then you can make that your firm choice. But you also accept one more offer as your "insurance offer" - typically a uni that is asking for lower grades, so that then if things don't go quite as well as you hope with your results, you can still go to uni this year. Hope that makes sense - and good luck!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
You cannot enter a Firm or Insurance choice until you have received all your decisions.
Read this- useful tips and advice - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
jas03
Rep:
(Original post by Saflower)
Ahh I see! Yes, you get to reply to 2 of your offers - you make one your "firm choice", so for example if you get an offer from Cambridge (fingers crossed for you!), then you can make that your firm choice. But you also accept one more offer as your "insurance offer" - typically a uni that is asking for lower grades, so that then if things don't go quite as well as you hope with your results, you can still go to uni this year. Hope that makes sense - and good luck!
Ah I see, thank you so much! I appreciate your time 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads