Milliewest2
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
i want to be a vet and i am currently choosing my a levels. i know i am doing biology and chemistry but am unsure on what to do for 3rd subject. i am trying to decide between PE Geography and Geology, im not a big fan of essays and a level geography seems to be essay based. but geology isnt. anyone got any opinions on it!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
it's fine, if you're interested in the subject matter. The only person I knew who did it (because it's a fairly uncommon A-level) liked it enough to go on to do a geology degree
coco:)
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Yh, there's definitely quite a lot of essays in Geography but you would obviously improve those skills throughout the years so don't let that put you off. I liked Geography because it was a lot more discussion and case study based in comparison to my other A Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) as well as being pretty broad in content so it was a nice break and I never felt that revision was unbearable - usually learning a few good case studies and terms was all I needed to do well. I can't really say much about Geology or PE as they weren't offered in my sixth form but I suggest going for whatever you find more interesting as you'll be more engaged in the subject matter and be more likely to do well, regardless of the exam format.
Last edited by coco:); 3 days ago
Milliewest2
Rep:
(Original post by coco:))
Yh, there's definitely quite a lot of essays in Geography but you would obviously improve those skills throughout the years so don't let that put you off. I liked Geography because it was a lot more discussion and case study based in comparison to my other A Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) as well as being pretty broad in content so it was a nice break and I never felt that revision was unbearable - usually learning a few good case studies and terms was all I needed to do well. I can't really say much about Geology or PE as they weren't offered in my sixth form but I suggest going for whatever you find more interesting as you'll be more engaged in the subject matter and be more likely to do well, regardless of the exam format.
thanks so much !
Milliewest2
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
it's fine, if you're interested in the subject matter. The only person I knew who did it (because it's a fairly uncommon A-level) liked it enough to go on to do a geology degree
Thanks so much, i am probably going to do geology. yeh literally no one does it so i might not even be able to, my school are trying to do it and did it last year with 6 students so if we have any less than that then it won't be possible but i hope i am able to, i know 3 other people who are defo going to do it but i hope there will be a few more !
ScarletAH
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Milliewest2)
i want to be a vet and i am currently choosing my a levels. i know i am doing biology and chemistry but am unsure on what to do for 3rd subject. i am trying to decide between PE Geography and Geology, im not a big fan of essays and a level geography seems to be essay based. but geology isnt. anyone got any opinions on it!
I do A level geology and I love it. It’s my favourite A level and I highly recommend it, however I want to continue to study it where as it sounds like you don’t. Geology is not the hardest of A levels, here are no essays, not much maths however lots of content. It is also quite a rare A level that unis like. Always remember you can swap your subjects. I swapped 3 times before I got it right. Hope this helps!!
Milliewest2
Rep:
(Original post by ScarletAH)
I do A level geology and I love it. It’s my favourite A level and I highly recommend it, however I want to continue to study it where as it sounds like you don’t. Geology is not the hardest of A levels, here are no essays, not much maths however lots of content. It is also quite a rare A level that unis like. Always remember you can swap your subjects. I swapped 3 times before I got it right. Hope this helps!!
Thanks, that was by biggest worry but i am interested in geology so far i have looked at past papers and the specifications, i am pretty good at gcse geography and hope to get a 9 in it in the future. you are correct i doubt i would choose to continue geology at uni rather than becoming a vet. is the content manageable, i am used to working lots outside of lessons so i dont think that will be much of an issue however biology is also very content heavy and chemistry requires lots of work too. if u dont mind me asking what a levels u do and what you are aiming for gradeswise, i hope you have a good day ! thanks so much
ScarletAH
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Milliewest2)
Thanks, that was by biggest worry but i am interested in geology so far i have looked at past papers and the specifications, i am pretty good at gcse geography and hope to get a 9 in it in the future. you are correct i doubt i would choose to continue geology at uni rather than becoming a vet. is the content manageable, i am used to working lots outside of lessons so i dont think that will be much of an issue however biology is also very content heavy and chemistry requires lots of work too. if u dont mind me asking what a levels u do and what you are aiming for gradeswise, i hope you have a good day ! thanks so much
I am doing geology, biology and DT and I would like to get an A in geology and DT and a B in biology. Biology is content heavy and relatively hard and geology is slightly content heavy but not difficult. A lot of it is common sense. If I were you, I would choose 4 A levels and do bio chem geology and the other subject you would like to do. Then try them out, you can see which one you like- then drop one after two weeks or something. Hope this helps!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed