The Student Room Group

Help me choose

Aston University, Nottingham Trent, University of Leicester, University of Essex, UWE Bristol. Those are the universities I’ve applied to for computer science/software engineering.

Can anyone let me know how they are in terms of reputation/area? So far I had Leicester as my first option because its ranked the highest for my course, but I’m starting to overthink it because of the area.
Reply 1
I know Leicester. Both the area around the university and the city are fine in my opinion.

I have been to Nottingham a few times too...probably is nicer as an area and probably is regarded as a nicer city than Leicester (but I wouldn't have a problem with Leicester).

Try visiting them so you can compare them. Leicester and Nottingham are only 45 minutes drive apart.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Cote1
I know Leicester. Both the area around the university and the city are fine in my opinion.

I have been to Nottingham a few times too...probably is nicer as an area and probably is regarded as a nicer city than Leicester (but I wouldn't have a problem with Leicester).

Try visiting them so you can compare them. Leicester and Nottingham are only 45 minutes drive apart.

Why do you think it’s just “fine” in comparison to Nottingham if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by Jaciruyi8
Why do you think it’s just “fine” in comparison to Nottingham if you don’t mind me asking?

I like Leicester and the university. The area around the university is nice. It is a shortish walk to a very nice park (Victoria Park). It's a 15 minute walk into the city. It's 10 minutes walk to the station. There's a really nice road near the university with cafes and bars. The city has pubs, bars, nightlife.
The Highcross centre is also good for shopping. Leicester market is brilliant for fruit and vegetables. :smile:

Nottingham is a nice city and seems generally to tend to be more popular than Leicester as a student city. Great nightlife.

You should visit them.

I don't know anything about the accommodation but you can research it.

I was just making the point that if the course is good, I wouldn't rule Leicester out because of the area necessarily. 🙂

Just research the universities and areas as much as you can and it is worth visiting your choices.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Cote1
I like Leicester and the university. The area around the university is nice. It is a shortish walk to a very nice park (Victoria Park). It's a 15 minute walk into the city. It's 10 minutes walk to the station. There's a really nice road near the university with cafes and bars. The city has pubs, bars, nightlife.
The Highcross centre is also good for shopping. Leicester market is brilliant for fruit and vegetables. :smile:

Nottingham is a nice, self-contained city and seems generally to tend to be more popular than Leicester as a student city. Great nightlife.

You should visit them.

I don't know anything about the accommodation but you can research it.

I was just making the point that if the course is good, I wouldn't rule Leicester out because of the area necessarily. 🙂

Just google the universities and areas as much as you can and it is worth visiting your choices.

Will do, thank you!
Reply 6
Will do, thank you!

Good luck.
Aston University, Nottingham Trent, University of Leicester, University of Essex, UWE Bristol. Those are the universities I’ve applied to for computer science/software engineering.

Can anyone let me know how they are in terms of reputation/area? So far I had Leicester as my first option because its ranked the highest for my course, but I’m starting to overthink it because of the area.

Hi @Jaciruyi8,

Great to hear you've applied to us to study Computer Science / Software Engineering - good choice!

It looks like you've had lots of great help with your question - hopefully these answers have helped make your decision a little easier. I thought I'd also add some information from one of our current students at Leicester, Anita. Anita's in her final year, so knows all about what it's like to be a student in Leicester.

Considering the area you're going to be living in for the next 3-5 (or more!) years is a really important one, so it's good to think about what you like to get out of the area you're living in - what's most important to you? For now, I've copied and pasted below Anita's favourite things about Leicester.

Anita's favourite things about Leicester:
1) Shopping! There are loads of the usual chain stores in High Cross Shopping Centre, as well as quirky independent stores, vintage shops and charity shops. There's also a new area in the city centre which is home to lots of vintage stores which is really cool.

2) There's loads of fun places to go when you're not studying - Caddyshackers (mini golf), Bounce Trampoline Park and Lane 7 (arcade, bowling and mini golf) are some top picks

3) There's lots of green space around to get some fresh air - Victoria Park (right on the university's doorstep) and Bradgate Park which is huge and full of wildlife including deer! Abbey Park is also nearby too.

4) Sports, sports and more sports - there's so much choice for sports fans - from Leicester City FC, to Leicester Tigers and also home to the oldest basketball club in Britain - Leicester Riders. Oadby Racecourse is also nearby!

5) Spoilt for food and drink options - there are so many nice places to eat out in Leicester, as well as good pubs and clubs. There's so much variety, but also some perfect options too for when you're on a budget too.

Those are Anita's favourite things but everyone has different things they'd like to get out of the area they're living in. What are the most important things to you for a city / area to have?

If you haven't had a chance to yet, come and take a look for yourself. If you get an offer from us, you'll be invited along to one of our Offer Holder Days. Or, if you don't want to wait until then, you can book on to one of our campus tours here. You can also chat to more of our current students (including Anita!), if you would like to get their perspective on the area.

I hope the above has helped, but if there's anything else you'd like to know, please just shout! :-)

Good luck with your decision,

Ellie
Reply 8
Original post by University of Leicester
Hi @Jaciruyi8,

Great to hear you've applied to us to study Computer Science / Software Engineering - good choice!

It looks like you've had lots of great help with your question - hopefully these answers have helped make your decision a little easier. I thought I'd also add some information from one of our current students at Leicester, Anita. Anita's in her final year, so knows all about what it's like to be a student in Leicester.

Considering the area you're going to be living in for the next 3-5 (or more!) years is a really important one, so it's good to think about what you like to get out of the area you're living in - what's most important to you? For now, I've copied and pasted below Anita's favourite things about Leicester.

Anita's favourite things about Leicester:
1) Shopping! There are loads of the usual chain stores in High Cross Shopping Centre, as well as quirky independent stores, vintage shops and charity shops. There's also a new area in the city centre which is home to lots of vintage stores which is really cool.

2) There's loads of fun places to go when you're not studying - Caddyshackers (mini golf), Bounce Trampoline Park and Lane 7 (arcade, bowling and mini golf) are some top picks

3) There's lots of green space around to get some fresh air - Victoria Park (right on the university's doorstep) and Bradgate Park which is huge and full of wildlife including deer! Abbey Park is also nearby too.

4) Sports, sports and more sports - there's so much choice for sports fans - from Leicester City FC, to Leicester Tigers and also home to the oldest basketball club in Britain - Leicester Riders. Oadby Racecourse is also nearby!

5) Spoilt for food and drink options - there are so many nice places to eat out in Leicester, as well as good pubs and clubs. There's so much variety, but also some perfect options too for when you're on a budget too.

Those are Anita's favourite things but everyone has different things they'd like to get out of the area they're living in. What are the most important things to you for a city / area to have?

If you haven't had a chance to yet, come and take a look for yourself. If you get an offer from us, you'll be invited along to one of our Offer Holder Days. Or, if you don't want to wait until then, you can book on to one of our campus tours here. You can also chat to more of our current students (including Anita!), if you would like to get their perspective on the area.

I hope the above has helped, but if there's anything else you'd like to know, please just shout! :-)

Good luck with your decision,

Ellie

Bradgate Park is a selling point for Leicestershire as it is absolutely beautiful but a bit of a trek for a student to be fair. 🙂 At least two buses I imagine. Abbey Park is also not nearby for a student.

Mini golf is very accessible in the city though.🙂 And plenty of nightlife.

I agree with the rest and don't forget Demontfort Hall, as, like Victoria Park, and the Queens Road area, it is pretty much on the university doorstep. New Walk Museum is a nice place to visit and easily within walking distance of the university. New Walk itself is very nearby and a lovely area to walk in.

Leicester has changed a lot over the years.

Leicester is known for its diversity and it is very multicultural. It has many fabulous Indian restaurants, for example. A number are close to the university.

However, Nottingham is a very nice city.

OP I am just saying that I would not rule out Leicester because of the area if you think that it has the best course.
(edited 2 years ago)
Definitely worth visiting the places though as the look and feel of these places are all quite different

Two aspects about Uni not really mentioned already are (i) employability (and relationship with employers, job fairs etc), / placements / wider career aspirations and (ii) extra curricular / societies

My understanding is Aston is pretty good for job fairs etc - not that any of these are poor. Don't know which offer placement years but I would definitely encourage you to think about that

Bristol has some interesting societies. I believe its the only one with a surf club and Bristol wave would get me interested in UWE - how about you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by LittleSkink
Definitely worth visiting the places though as the look and feel of these places are all quite different

Two aspects about Uni not really mentioned already are (i) employability (and relationship with employers, job fairs etc), / placements / wider career aspirations and (ii) extra curricular / societies

My understanding is Aston is pretty good for job fairs etc - not that any of these are poor. Don't know which offer placement years but I would definitely encourage you to think about that

Bristol has some interesting societies. I believe its the only one with a surf club and Bristol wave would get me interested in UWE - how about you?

Definitely worth visiting them.
Reply 11
Original post by LittleSkink

I don’t know much about Bristol and Essex as they’re my least favourite options and the furthest from home. But the other three do fine regarding employability and societies. I’ve had a look at the statistics and their societies/social media and I like what I’ve seen so far.

Quick Reply