BTEC Physics Unit 1

Watch
Saima. R
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys
Can someone help me with this question please.

A fibre cable is made from a material that has a critical angle of the 43.8 degrees. Calculate the refractive index.

Thanks
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saima. R)
Hi guys
Can someone help me with this question please.

A fibre cable is made from a material that has a critical angle of the 43.8 degrees. Calculate the refractive index.

Thanks
critical angle depends on the material on both sides of a boundary... so the question seems incomplete cos there's no information given about the other material... please post the complete question.
Saima. R
Rep:
That's is the full question.
Even I thought it was an incomplete question.
But it's not 🤔
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
But it's not 🤔
It is actually a full question with all the necessary info to compute the refractive index.

There are at least 3 formulas or equations concerning the refractive index.

The definition of refractive index concerns the ratio of the speed of light in the vacuum to that of in the optical medium.
Next is the "law of refraction" or Snell's law.
The third is concerning the critical angle derived from Snell's law where the angle of refraction is 90 deg.

Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
But it's not 🤔
Well I guess you'll have to assume the fibre is in air (refractive index =1) and hope for the best then.

the critical angle is the angle of incidence resulting in an angle of refraction of 90 degrees.

The relevant formula is 'Snell's Law'

sin ϴ1 / sin ϴ2 = n2/n1

and you have the two angles and one of the indices
Saima. R
Rep:
Thanks so much guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.02%
October 2021 (116)
47.93%
November 2021 (24)
9.92%
December 2021 (32)
13.22%
January 2021 (21)
8.68%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (25)
10.33%