The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university racism

Is it true?
I am considering Durham as a top choice, and I am an international student from Australia (not white tho), and just seeing the various articles on the net, I am slightly alarmed. In general, would you say Durham (or the general student population) is racist and is Hatfield college good?

My second choice is Bristol.
Hi, I'm at At Chads and haven't experienced any racism, although if you're looking for an ethnically diverse university experience it might not be the right fit. There are incidents of racism at the university but I'm not sure if it's particularly worse than any other universities. The bailey colleges tend to be more white and privately educated and the hill college are more diverse (south college is seemingly the most diverse). It really just depends what vibe you want. If you have any questions feel free to DM me :smile:)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TillyCelia
Hi, I'm at At Chads and haven't experienced any racism, although if you're looking for an ethnically diverse university experience it might not be the right fit. There are incidents of racism at the university but I'm not sure if it's particularly worse than any other universities. The bailey colleges tend to be more white and privately educated and the hill college are more diverse (south college is seemingly the most diverse). It really just depends what vibe you want. If you have any questions feel free to DM me :smile:)

Thank you for your reply, just out of curiosity why would colleges dominated by privately educated students be less diverse? (being from an Australian independent school, I'd say private schools are probs more diverse here).
The problem I face is that hill colleges tend to be self-catered and I can't cook to save my life!😂
I like Hatfield because of it's rooms and proximity to my chosen subject - what are your thoughts on Hatfield?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your reply, just out of curiosity why would colleges dominated by privately educated students be less diverse? (being from an Australian independent school, I'd say private schools are probs more diverse here).
The problem I face is that hill colleges tend to be self-catered and I can't cook to save my life!😂
I like Hatfield because of it's rooms and proximity to my chosen subject - what are your thoughts on Hatfield?

I live on the bailey and love it, but like I said it's just less diverse (economically, ethnically and class wise). I'm not exactly sure why but the private schools in the UK are just usually less diverse. I don't think Hatfield is as evil as everyone says, I live right next door and it seems ok, similar vibe to most bailey colleges, but if you go there be prepared for the Hatfield hate from other colleges. I may be bias, but chads is just as close as Hatfield to all the lectures site, all the accomodation is on the bailey and we have the most (and most affordable) formals and balls , plus everyone is super lovely- so I would recommend :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TillyCelia
I live on the bailey and love it, but like I said it's just less diverse (economically, ethnically and class wise). I'm not exactly sure why but the private schools in the UK are just usually less diverse. I don't think Hatfield is as evil as everyone says, I live right next door and it seems ok, similar vibe to most bailey colleges, but if you go there be prepared for the Hatfield hate from other colleges. I may be bias, but chads is just as close as Hatfield to all the lectures site, all the accomodation is on the bailey and we have the most (and most affordable) formals and balls , plus everyone is super lovely- so I would recommend :smile:

Thank you sm!

Quick Reply