The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Is anyone studying English Literature at Edge Hill?

How are they finding the course?
Also, has anyone done a semester or year abroad studying while at edge hill?
Hi @Calvi24,

It is great to hear of your interest in studying English Literature at Edge Hill University. I was an English Literature student here a few years ago and I really enjoyed my time studying at Edge Hill University. I found the course to be engaging because it covered a wide range of topics from Post-modernism to Medieval Literature. This allowed me to find particular areas of interest that I enjoyed studying and I was able to tailor my module choices and assignments around these areas. This allowed me to develop my own critical voice as a literature student.

In year 1 of the degree you will build your skills and confidence in analysing poetry, prose and drama, and develop methodological, critical and theoretical approaches to reading literature. One of the most memorable parts of the programme for me was a module I studied in my first year in which we studied narrative theory. In this module we were able to analyse the narratives of literature and films but also interactive films, video games and table top role playing games. I found this module to be really interesting as it expanded my studies to include other narrative form that I hadn't previously considered. The tutors are experts in their fields and work hard to support you throughout your studies and this creates an environment in which people feel comfortable in discussions that take place in work-shops and seminars.

Each module was taught every week through a Lecture, workshop and seminar. Each one took on a different format and this gave us the opportunity to study each topic in depth and have time for independent research to expand on any ideas out of class to then bring to the next session. It was also great to meet like-minded people and its was really interesting in seminars to hear how each person could approach the analysis of a text differently and this really added to the experience.

There is the option to Study abroad as part of the course and in previous years student have been to universities in Germany, Canada the USA and Spain. For more information on this I will attach a few link to our information pages.

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/international/study-abroad-and-erasmus/study-abroad-ehu-students/
https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/international/study-abroad-and-erasmus/global-opportunities/

I hope this helps,

Luke
Course Enquiries Team
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
Many thanks, that's really interesting, and very useful information. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending