noeminvm
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
My A levels are geography, sociology and maths. My target grades are A*, A, A respectively (haven't got my predicted grades yet)As you can see, I don't have a science. My question is..will I be fine, or will I really struggle once I'm at uni? For reference, I got 9 in physics and chemistry and 8 in biology at GCSE
Last edited by noeminvm; 4 months ago
flollr
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by noeminvm)
My A levels are geography, sociology and maths. My target grades are A*, A, A respectively (haven't got my predicted grades yet)As you can see, I don't have a science. My question is..will I be fine, or will I really struggle once I'm at uni? For reference, I got 9 in physics and chemistry and 8 in biology at GCSE
Hey, I've applied and got a few of my offers to do Geology at uni and had a sibling also go through a Geology degree. When you get to uni, they presume no prior Geological knowledge. With Geography you'll still have a decent understanding of basic Earth processes and most UK universities do see all of your A-Levels as sciences actually. I currently do Geology and all I think is I'll have an advantage when I get there and everyone else is pretty much in the same boat. Maybe some wider reading is a good idea for you (also would help with Personal Statement at the UCAS stage if you're not already there), but honestly you should be fine. Some places do ask for Maths with Chemistry or Physics (or some prefer it), but plenty of places will definitely accept your A-Levels.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I think you might find the range of unis you could apply to more limited, and you may well find it quite different from your expectations/current experiences if you do not have a scientific background at least. Unless you go through a course which has a foundation year, in which case you will develop some scientific background in preparation for the course (and that will give you more options).

In principle they don't assume any specific scientific content usually, although they do generally assume a familiarity with the scientific method, lab skills, etc I gather. That said I've heard A-level Chemistry is useful background. Plagioclase may have some thoughts?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
noeminvm
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by flollr)
Hey, I've applied and got a few of my offers to do Geology at uni and had a sibling also go through a Geology degree. When you get to uni, they presume no prior Geological knowledge. With Geography you'll still have a decent understanding of basic Earth processes and most UK universities do see all of your A-Levels as sciences actually. I currently do Geology and all I think is I'll have an advantage when I get there and everyone else is pretty much in the same boat. Maybe some wider reading is a good idea for you (also would help with Personal Statement at the UCAS stage if you're not already there), but honestly you should be fine. Some places do ask for Maths with Chemistry or Physics (or some prefer it), but plenty of places will definitely accept your A-Levels.
Thank you so much for your feedback! You've really put my mind at ease. Are here any specific bits of wider reading that you recommend I look at? E.g. magazines or documentaries that you found useful?
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It's not the ideal background so, yes, you may find aspects of the course more difficult than someone who has studied A Level Physics and Chemistry. Having said that, I think that A Level Maths is still the most important subject so at least you have that.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by noeminvm)
Hello @noeminvm,

I'm a student representative for the University of Southampton in my second year of a Geology MSci and I can assure you that at least for our uni, having both Geography and Math A levels will be more than enough to enter a Geology degree. As flollr said, the uni will typically assume that you don't have a particularly deep understanding of geology as students come from a variety of backgrounds so taking geography can already give you an advantage over other students. I took Geography A level and it definitely helped a lot with some of my background knowledge, especially when it came to plate tectonics as they play a pretty unbiquitous role in Geology.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Charles,
Official Southampton University Representative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (58)
34.52%
The paper was reasonable (67)
39.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
16.07%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.52%

Watched Threads