ohlive22
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I have recently completed a psychology undergrad, and have the ultimate goal of becoming an educational psychologist. Due to COVID-19, I missed out on a 'proper' final year, and due to the requirements for a ed psych doctorate, I need at least one years experience working with children. Therefore I thought a primary PGCE (ideally ages 3-7) was the perfect combination.

However, the more research I do, the more a primary PGCE sounds unbearable. It seems like there will be a lot more time actually teaching entire lessons, when I thought this would only happen on the odd occasion (my bad for assuming).I worked hard during my undergrad, but I also place a lot of importance on hanging out with friends, going out etc., which seems near impossible to do in a PGCE year. As I don't even want to be a teacher, I doubt whether it would be worth the awful year.

I have looked into a masters course instead, but education masters require lots of experience working with children already (I have a few days work experience working in a primary school), or they are completely theory based; which just means another year gone by without getting any experience to go towards my doctorate application.

Working for a year is not an option, I am desperate to get back into some form of education, but none of the options seem right. Any options I am missing would be great to hear.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by ohlive22)
I have recently completed a psychology undergrad, and have the ultimate goal of becoming an educational psychologist. Due to COVID-19, I missed out on a 'proper' final year, and due to the requirements for a ed psych doctorate, I need at least one years experience working with children. Therefore I thought a primary PGCE (ideally ages 3-7) was the perfect combination.

However, the more research I do, the more a primary PGCE sounds unbearable. It seems like there will be a lot more time actually teaching entire lessons, when I thought this would only happen on the odd occasion (my bad for assuming).I worked hard during my undergrad, but I also place a lot of importance on hanging out with friends, going out etc., which seems near impossible to do in a PGCE year. As I don't even want to be a teacher, I doubt whether it would be worth the awful year.

I have looked into a masters course instead, but education masters require lots of experience working with children already (I have a few days work experience working in a primary school), or they are completely theory based; which just means another year gone by without getting any experience to go towards my doctorate application.

Working for a year is not an option, I am desperate to get back into some form of education, but none of the options seem right. Any options I am missing would be great to hear.
I absolutely would not recommend doing a PGCE if you do not want to become a teacher and do not want to teach a lot of full lessons. By the end of a PGCE, many trainees will be teaching up to 15 hours a week during placements. It is a very work-intensive year.

Why is it not an option to work for a year? It sounds like doing a year working as a TA would be ideal, as you would gain the experience you want without having to teach, and you could be paid while you do it.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
I agree with bluebeetle.

A PGCE is tough and demanding. Plus, there is now a two year ECT Induction to complete after your PGCE year. If you are not committed to teaching then do NOT do a PGCE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads