ohlive22
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I have just completed a psychology undergrad, and ultimately want to become an educational psychologist. Due to COVID-19, I missed out on having a proper last year and a half of uni, and due to requirements of enrolling on an ed psych doctorate course, I need at least a year's experience of working with children. After doing some research, it seemed like a primary PGCE course would be perfect, as I'd be getting lots of experience with children, and getting to do another year at University (it is important to add that I currently have very little experience working with children; a few work experience days at a primary school, and I am going travelling soon so cannot get anymore this academic year).However, the more I am reading into it, it seems like a PGCE year is almost unbearable. I worked hard during my degree, but I also placed a lot of value of being able to go out and have fun with my friends, and this sounds like it's just unrealistic. I ultimately don't want to be a teacher. so is it even worth it?I have looked into Masters courses concerning education, however all the ones I have seen are just theory, and so to me doing a masters course is just another year putting off getting actual experience working with children, which seems to be more important than having a Masters degree. Any insight would be incredibly helpful, as application deadlines are very quickly approaching.
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
If you're not interested in becoming a teacher/educator then I don't think you'd enjoy the PGCE. It is a lot of hard work and does take up a lot of your time, which is a small sacrifice if you enjoy teaching and recognise it does get easier after a few years.

Things you could do instead that would give you experience. Become a governor at a local primary school (most schools struggle to get enough governors). Work in a relevant setting, so working in a Early Years setting or as a teaching assistant could be one option (pay is not great, but then you're not paying to get the experience as you would with a PGCE). Working with voluntary organisations for children and young people (e.g. Barnardos offers internships in children's services). Volunteer with an organisation like Mencap or similar. Also look for Assistant Educational Psychologist jobs as these often only require a relevant UG degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.31%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.01%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (213)
46.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed