emmaas
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
hi
so basically i just wanna get some advice on the chances of me being accepted into Russel group university's if in my gcse maths grade was a 4.
im predicted A A A in A-level, so would the gcse grade have a huge impact and not allow me to attend certain places or does it not really matter so much?
thank you
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by emmaas)
hi
so basically i just wanna get some advice on the chances of me being accepted into Russel group university's if in my gcse maths grade was a 4.
im predicted A A A in A-level, so would the gcse grade have a huge impact and not allow me to attend certain places or does it not really matter so much?
thank you
It depends which course you've applied for. I imagine that if you meet the entry criteria for GCSE maths you should be fine,

Best wishes.
leahrilou
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
As long as it doesn't specify you need a higher grade at gcse then I doubt it will be a massive factor. Of course that's not to say that universities don't look at gcses but they're obviously a very small part. As long as you show your passion for whatever you want to do and do your best at a levels then you're gonna be an asset to any university. Best of luck!
emmaas
Rep:
(Original post by leahrilou)
As long as it doesn't specify you need a higher grade at gcse then I doubt it will be a massive factor. Of course that's not to say that universities don't look at gcses but they're obviously a very small part. As long as you show your passion for whatever you want to do and do your best at a levels then you're gonna be an asset to any university. Best of luck!
Thank you! so I'm actually in year 12, so i do have the chance to retake my maths GCSEs, although it may be very stressful whilst doing a levels as well! would you think that its worth it or not? I've been told that getting a 4 in maths GCSE meant that some people couldn't attend these universities!
thank you for your help though
emmaas
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
It depends which course you've applied for. I imagine that if you meet the entry criteria for GCSE maths you should be fine,

Best wishes.
Hi!
I haven't actually applied this year as Im in year 12, so I'm not sure what courses I'd be interested in yet. Though I really wanted to go to a Russel group uni I cant help but think my maths grade is going to hold me back even though all my other GCSE grades were alright as well as my a-levels.
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Hi!
I haven't actually applied this year as Im in year 12, so I'm not sure what courses I'd be interested in yet. Though I really wanted to go to a Russel group uni I cant help but think my maths grade is going to hold me back even though all my other GCSE grades were alright as well as my a-levels.
I recommend you apply in year 13 as you have nothing to lose. Not applying means you have virtually 0% chance of getting in. If you do get rejected, you could take a gap year and resit GCSE maths.

I personally did this as I sat maths at foundation on my first attempt and wanted to do medicine. You could then reapply and see how it goes. Perhaps apply to russel group unis that have little emphasis on GCSEs.

Best wishes.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
hi
thank you
Typically most universities accept you with grade 4 Maths for their humanities courses. There are courses with high level Maths requirement who ask for Higher Grade Maths and if you dont have it then you are rejected. These tend to be things like Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Business and Psychology.

You need to check the GCSE requirement for the university and course you are looking at. If it asks for higher you will need to resit or not apply. If it doesnt ask for higher it wont matter,
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Most subjects will specify if there is a gcse maths requirement. Some unis will have minimum eng and maths grades regardless of subject.

You can check these on your potential choices websites now. Very few courses get into the nitty gritty of scoring all your gcse grades so it won’t make a huge difference if you meet the minimum and aren’t applying to a massively competitive course.
leahrilou
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Thank you! so I'm actually in year 12, so i do have the chance to retake my maths GCSEs, although it may be very stressful whilst doing a levels as well! would you think that its worth it or not? I've been told that getting a 4 in maths GCSE meant that some people couldn't attend these universities!
thank you for your help though
I think just to further what's been suggested I'd say think about what you think you might like to do at university. If you're thinking of the sciences, maths or psychology or economics - those types of things, then it may be reasonable to take advantage of resitting. However if you're more interested in humanities like history, geography, politics etc. then it might be less worth it and you'll likely have no problems without it. It's a lot to think about in year 12 but knowing a round about direction can help you to decide and maybe even looking at university course pages of random degrees you're interested in just to get a feel for if gcse maths will be important. Hope this helps.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
hi
thank you
Until you know what subject you want to study at university it is hard to give a definitive answer. However, it is fairly obvious that the more science-based the course is the more likely that a 4 in maths would lead to rejection.

This could happen even in arts courses. History at LSE requires a 6, at UCL a 5, and at York there is no maths GCSE requirement.

Overall, I would suggest a resit otherwise you would be limiting your options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (70)
12.7%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.63%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.77%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
7.99%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (268)
48.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.27%

Watched Threads