How do university predicted grades work?

Watch this thread
Saeven
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm in my first year of economics and I know that most people aim for at least 2:1 in their degree as a whole. But I just wanted to know to be predicted a 2:1 for my degree should I'm be getting a 2:1 in semester 1 or will a 2:2 be enough to be predicted a 2:1 in the future, is that makes any sense?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Saeven)
I'm in my first year of economics and I know that most people aim for at least 2:1 in their degree as a whole. But I just wanted to know to be predicted a 2:1 for my degree should I'm be getting a 2:1 in semester 1 or will a 2:2 be enough to be predicted a 2:1 in the future, is that makes any sense?
Unlike at school where teachers work out predicted grades, at university students are expected to keep track of their own performance to determine what marks they need in certain exams, assignments etc. You can work this out by: 1) looking at how many credits your modules are worth (the higher the number of credits, the more that module is worth proportionally), and 2) looking at your student regulations to see how much percent each year of your degree is worth for your degree classification overall.

Generally though, you should be aiming to do as well as you can in every assessment - even if your first year doesn't count, it's worth getting into good habits early.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Saeven)
As an institution a university typically won’t bother with predictions like this, as PheonixFortune says, that kind of bookkeeping exercise is down to you as an individual if you are interested. If you are hitting a 2:2 average then your “predicted” would simply be a 2:2. However, once it comes to job or PhD application time individuals like your personal tutor or whoever writes a letter of reference for you will likely take a look at your transcript and based on your marks to date and trajectory (constant, rising, falling over time) might chose to say something about where you will end up. E.g. student X is currently averaging a high 2:1, a good performance in their finals exams might push them up to a 1st. There is however no equivalent of the predicted grades that teachers provide for UCAS and university lecturers don't tend to over-predict as its their personal reputation on the line. .
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (68)
16.15%
The paper was reasonable (205)
48.69%
Not feeling great about that exam... (102)
24.23%
It was TERRIBLE (46)
10.93%

Watched Threads