rahul9.91
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi, I am currently an AS student that has just done their mocks. I have received B in biology, C in Chemistry, A* in Maths and C in Geography.

I want to pursue medicine in the future, so I really want to make sure to get good grades in my A levels. My original plan was to drop Geography at A2 but now I am thinking of dropping Geography now and continue with 3 A Levels, and put my effort into bumping my chemistry and biology grades. Knowing how difficult medicine is, I have heard that 4 AS levels can put you ahead of others. Is this true?

I am finding it difficult to make a decision, as I heard that by only doing 3 a levels, you will have a slimmer chance at getting into medicine but If I did continue Geography, will I end up with a poor biology/chemistry score at the end of the year. Another option, I considered was to continue 4 A levels until mid-term in February and then make a decision based on how I am doing in class.

Could someone help me make a decision?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by rahul9.91)
Hi, I am currently an AS student that has just done their mocks. I have received B in biology, C in Chemistry, A* in Maths and C in Geography.

I want to pursue medicine in the future, so I really want to make sure to get good grades in my A levels. My original plan was to drop Geography at A2 but now I am thinking of dropping Geography now and continue with 3 A Levels, and put my effort into bumping my chemistry and biology grades. Knowing how difficult medicine is, I have heard that 4 AS levels can put you ahead of others. Is this true?
Not at all. Medical schools only care about your top 3 A-level grades and AAA will always be better than ABBB. You only need biology and chemistry +another subject for medicine and since you're doing well in maths, I would recommend dropping geography now.

I am finding it difficult to make a decision, as I heard that by only doing 3 a levels, you will have a slimmer chance at getting into medicine but If I did continue Geography, will I end up with a poor biology/chemistry score at the end of the year. Another option, I considered was to continue 4 A levels until mid-term in February and then make a decision based on how I am doing in class.

Could someone help me make a decision?
Again, most applicants for medicine have 3 A-levels, it will not put you at a disadvantage (apart from QMUL which is the only medical school that uses the UCAS tariff). Dropping geography will allow you to focus on biology and chemistry.
rahul9.91
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Not at all. Medical schools only care about your top 3 A-level grades and AAA will always be better than ABBB. You only need biology and chemistry +another subject for medicine and since you're doing well in maths, I would recommend dropping geography now.

Again, most applicants for medicine have 3 A-levels, it will not put you at a disadvantage (apart from QMUL which is the only medical school that uses the UCAS tariff). Dropping geography will allow you to focus on biology and chemistry.
Thanks for the reply! If a scenario where one student gets let's say AAA and another AAA + B. Will the student with AAAB be put at an advantage because of the extra qualification or will they will Unis look at their best three scores which are both AAA's?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Thanks for the reply! If a scenario where one student gets let's say AAA and another AAA + B. Will the student with AAAB be put at an advantage because of the extra qualification or will they will Unis look at their best three scores which are both AAA's?
That's up to the uni to decide.
ArcticChimera
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
They will not be looking at the (unnecessary) extra AS. They will review other parts of your uni application (and the other student's) that are relevant to medicine. Dropping geography will not affect your chances.
Last edited by ArcticChimera; 3 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.31%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.01%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (213)
46.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads