The Student Room Group

should i switch from manual to automatic?

hi,
i have been learning to drive manual for just under 2 months now and i am being faced with the same problems each lesson - my lack of confidence due to becoming overwhelmed by trying to remember each thing to do when driving the car, and clutch control.
at the end of my most recent lesson my instructor offered me a free 20 minute automatic lesson (which i accepted) since she can see my constant struggle with the controls in a manual. i am slightly disheartened by this because most people i told laughed and it makes me question whether i am good enough to keep driving manually, but i think it might possibly be better for me because i like to make everything as easy as possible for myself and driving an automatic would get rid of the stress that comes with driving a manual.
my instructor has told me after the taster lesson to see how i feel and that she would be more than happy to continue manual or start or automatic lessons, but i just don't know what i should do.
i know that it would be a more practical decision for me to continue with manual lessons but i feel i may be better suited to automatic.
another issue i have is if i would be able to find a suitable car for myself if i went to automatic, since i am young driver and have a low budget.
any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:
Original post by elliedinn
hi,
i have been learning to drive manual for just under 2 months now and i am being faced with the same problems each lesson - my lack of confidence due to becoming overwhelmed by trying to remember each thing to do when driving the car, and clutch control.
at the end of my most recent lesson my instructor offered me a free 20 minute automatic lesson (which i accepted) since she can see my constant struggle with the controls in a manual. i am slightly disheartened by this because most people i told laughed and it makes me question whether i am good enough to keep driving manually, but i think it might possibly be better for me because i like to make everything as easy as possible for myself and driving an automatic would get rid of the stress that comes with driving a manual.
my instructor has told me after the taster lesson to see how i feel and that she would be more than happy to continue manual or start or automatic lessons, but i just don't know what i should do.
i know that it would be a more practical decision for me to continue with manual lessons but i feel i may be better suited to automatic.
another issue i have is if i would be able to find a suitable car for myself if i went to automatic, since i am young driver and have a low budget.

a few years ago i'd say to stick it out with a manual but now it's clear the future is automatic. shame really as i love manual driving. to be honest, it's about getting past 'remembering' what to do - when it clicks, it becomes natural. i couldn't for the life of me tell you what i do with the pedals when i drive off because i don't even think about it
Reply 2
Original post by elliedinn
hi,

I would just stick to manual for now. Just so you know how. And then you can drive an automatic if u want later
Reply 3
To be honest it is a personal choice but i would recommend staying with manual, it may be hard at first but everyone goes through the same thing, you will get used to it at some point.

Automatic is a lot easier but you will be severely limited to your choice of cars , etc. Especially with a low budget, and Automatics tend to go wrong more often, especially if your buying a second hand one, and on top of that there are not a lot of cars that are Automatic compared to manual, and the difference in price is quite big
Reply 4
if ur having trouble driving manual just switch to auto. no one cares if you drive a manual unless your a car person. as we head into the future most cars are going to be automatic. if you are struggling now and are worried, what are you going to do when you pass, your in the car by yourself on a motorway? just learn in an automatic if its easier and cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending