Would you go for money or would you go for fulfillment when choosing your job?

Watch
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Roses.Are.Red)
Agreed. They listed 'defence'. Does that mean armed forces, or something of that sort? The definition of 'sin industry' isn't exactly clear.
Often includes private military contractors and major suppliers who do not sell any weapons/weapons components but the majority of their turnover comes from deals with the military.
Roses.Are.Red
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Often includes private military contractors and major suppliers who do not sell any weapons/weapons components but the majority of their turnover comes from deals with the military.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
The exploitation is considered as bad behavior from individual companies. I am talking about industry as a whole. The pharma industry manufactures life saving drugs. Literally, saving lives. In an industry there can be individual companies that behave badly, but as an industry its a noble profession. You can move from a bad behaving company to a good one without switching industry. However if you are working in an industry that in its nature does not really create value for the society, you can switch to any individual company and it would still be the same. see the difference?
So drugs companies make 0 profit then? Because to be truly noble they should be creating the drugs at 0 net gain. Except nobody does because a company is required to make a profit to be a company. If you google the salaries of any pharma CEOs i'm sure it is far above the amount they need to make to be able to live a regular life.

I don't know why you think industry's are so black and white, plenty of alcohol companies were making hand sanitiser for healthcare workers during the pandemic. Is that a 'sin' because it came out of a brewery?

Generally it is not the industry that makes someone unhappy in a role, rather the day to day working conditions.

You're simply assuming that if someone works in one of the industry's you have listed they must be unhappy and they must be unhappy because it's an inherently 'bad' industry according to your morale standard.
If the industry had such an impact then nurses should be the happiest people on earth, except they rarely are because of poor pay and hard working hours/conditions. Regardless of whether it is a 'noble' industry.
HucktheForde
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
So drugs companies make 0 profit then? Because to be truly noble they should be creating the drugs at 0 net gain. Except nobody does because a company is required to make a profit to be a company. If you google the salaries of any pharma CEOs i'm sure it is far above the amount they need to make to be able to live a regular life.

I don't know why you think industry's are so black and white, plenty of alcohol companies were making hand sanitiser for healthcare workers during the pandemic. Is that a 'sin' because it came out of a brewery?

Generally it is not the industry that makes someone unhappy in a role, rather the day to day working conditions.

You're simply assuming that if someone works in one of the industry's you have listed they must be unhappy and they must be unhappy because it's an inherently 'bad' industry according to your morale standard.
If the industry had such an impact then nurses should be the happiest people on earth, except they rarely are because of poor pay and hard working hours/conditions. Regardless of whether it is a 'noble' industry.
You are dragging the topic further and further away from the point. I am probably guilty of leading you in that direction.

The point of this thread is whether you would prefer to work for a fulfilling job even if it brings in less money.

What is considered 'fulfilling' is different for everyone, if you dont think defence is a sin industry , so be it, but there are people who do.

I am not here to argue what industry is a sinful one , those were examples.
Last edited by HucktheForde; 2 days ago
j25_8
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
If there are 2 companies willing to offer your a job

One pays you above average , however its part of the "sin industry" (gambling, tobacco, alcohol, defense, cannabis) where you feel less fulfillment from working there. Lets put a number to it ? £5000 per month.

Another pays you lesser, around £3800, but its part of an industry where you feel like you are contributing to the society in a positive way. Say for example ( medical , biotechnology , renewable energy )

If you are in your early 20s, with little savings, Which would you choose?
If you are in your early 30s, with enough savings and an established career, would you choose differently?
Early 20s pov?

Depends on the difficulty/work life balance of each more than what the actual role is. It sounds to me like B will be more difficult than A and I’d be more likely to burn out. Career progression might make up for that though. But in my early 30s, I might have a family to worry about and a home to maintain. So it would be ideal for me for my work to not be stressful even if it’s mundane and yes, even if it’s in a sinful industry. My justification for this is because unless I’m actively and directly encouraging people to engage with the sinful industry I work in, I’m merely just a cog in a business just like most other fields of work. I also just kind of…don’t really mind. It’s bad I know but if there’s a market for it, there are people that want it to begin with even if what they want is to gamble, smoke weed or tobacco, shoot guns or drink alcohol. There are responsible and irresponsible consumers of every industry - it’s just a lot more hit and miss with these ones.

Early 30s pov?

If i have an established career at that point and I was able to obtain a more senior role (to make up for the pay) in a sinless industry, then yes I would go for B instead of A. It would be ideal for me to work in the medical, biotech and energy field as they have always been very in demand jobs and are also virtually recession proof which isn’t the case with a sinful industry. They would have more leverage over me at that point and depending on very specific things like workload, difficulty, schedule I would go for B. If not? I would probably just continue to work in A and pray that nothing upsets the economy until I retire
Last edited by j25_8; 2 days ago
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
My spouse and I are relocating and I've been looking at mental health tech jobs. Doesn't pay great but I anticipate enjoying it more than some office job that pays well. I'm lucky enough that my spouse will be able to make more money with her qualifications that will let me work this lower paying job. So yeah, I'd take the second one, not because the "sin" bothers me, but because I would enjoy it more.
florakathefloor
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I've worked in defence and aerospace and it's quite insulting to say it's a 'sin industry' akin to illegal drug production, anyway...

I have recently accepted a job that pays a bit less than what I was doing before and is also slightly longer hours. I made the move because I was miserable in my old job, not because of the industry but because of other circumstances.

Already I am liking it a lot more and I prefer that to any amount of money I was being paid in the job I left.
Hey! I've stumbled across this post and I'd like to explain my story a little bit. I'm currently in Y13 of the English System (17-18 Years Old) and have applied for Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering for University hoping to eventually land in the Military Defence Industry. Could you expand a little on your job and why you were miserable there?

Would appreciate this a lot!
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by florakathefloor)
Hey! I've stumbled across this post and I'd like to explain my story a little bit. I'm currently in Y13 of the English System (17-18 Years Old) and have applied for Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering for University hoping to eventually land in the Military Defence Industry. Could you expand a little on your job and why you were miserable there?

Would appreciate this a lot!
First of all good luck

One of the main reasons was the location, it was incredibly difficult for me to commute to as I don't drive yet and I had no time to do anything outside of work.
A second reason was it was incredibly admin heavy with very strict procedures of how something is engineered. Which is great if you are technically minded. I am to some extent but my real passion is creativity. I didn't major in engineering and I just wanted something where there is a bit more creative freedom.
Just because it wasn't the right fit for me doesnt mean it won't be for you :jumphug:
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
I have gone for fulfilment

Bitter experience of work I despised has shown me the way
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Fulfillment.
May not earn a lot but at least I love the sector i am in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (51)
12.23%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.92%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (106)
25.42%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (38)
9.11%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (199)
47.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.6%

Watched Threads