Do many students send their work in to university to support their application?

Watch
Saflower
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I sent my work in via post last time I applied through UCAs in 2009, and got 4 offers. I've done the same this time, but as my UCAs application has just gone in this afternoon, I haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

I guess I'm just curious if many other students do this, or whether I'm just weird haha?
Last edited by Saflower; 1 week ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Its totally pointless/weird.
Unless a Uni asks you for something like a portfolio etc then then they dont want it, and they will just bin it if you send it = ie. this isnt why you got 4 offers in 2009.
ROTL94 2
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
With only some courses being the exception your grades speak for themselves. No need to post your work to anybody.
Saflower
Rep:
I understand what you mean, but my previous grades definitely don't speak for themselves. Due to undiagnosed (at the time) SpLDs, I struggled with exams, but did very well in coursework, classwork, homework, presentations etc. Therefore my final grades didn't really reflect my ability.
Saflower
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Its totally pointless/weird.
Unless a Uni asks you for something like a portfolio etc then then they dont want it, and they will just bin it if you send it = ie. this isnt why you got 4 offers in 2009.
You sound very confident about this. Are you a lecturer/part of an admissions team?
isabelbelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saflower)
You sound very confident about this. Are you a lecturer/part of an admissions team?
Many unis state they don't consider additional work or personal statements etc - you are sending it straight for the bin.

You only send additional things if requested or required - for instance many oxbridge colleges require additional essays sent in alongside your application, whilst architecture/fine art/film applicants sometimes require portfolios.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saflower)
McGinger works in admissions as do I.

Unless you have been prompted for additional material, (such as a request for a portfolio), unis won't look at it and indeed can't look at it, because it would give you an unfair advantage over other applicants. The guaranteed consideration period which runs up until January means that all candidates have to be assessed via the same process. It's antithetical to the concept of equal consideration that the admission process is built around.

It won't disadvantage you, it just won't be taken into account.
Saflower
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
McGinger works in admissions as do I.

Unless you have been prompted for additional material, (such as a request for a portfolio), unis won't look at it and indeed can't look at it, because it would give you an unfair advantage over other applicants. The guaranteed consideration period which runs up until January means that all candidates have to be assessed via the same process. It's antithetical to the concept of equal consideration that the admission process is built around.

It won't disadvantage you, it just won't be taken into account.
Ahh ok, thank you for your response. I can definitely see the logic on it perhaps being unfair, as all students should be considered using the same process.

Yeah I've been slightly regretting sending the work in for many reasons now. I hope it doesn't affect the decisions, as you say it won't disadvantage me. Either way, you live and learn. I won't send work in if I apply again in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.94%
Note taking apps (5)
2.94%
Flashcards (30)
17.65%
Revision guides (5)
2.94%
Past papers (85)
50%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.53%

Watched Threads