family won't support me financially for uni

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I've figured out that I will be living on £160.65 per week at university, but that's if I get a job alongside and work for at least 8 hours a week on minimum wage. If I take away £50 for groceries and what not that's pretty much £110.65 left. I have to live on £110.65 per week for my spending money. I'm not sure if that is doable especially since I'm going to Bristol.

My family cause their strict don't want me moving out, but I figured out I'll be receiving the max loan so therefore all the rent is covered pretty much for the entire year.

Not sure what to do here since I feel like £110 per week is not enough for a student, and if it is I'd have to be quite stingy with it.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
£50 seems like a huge amount to be spending on food shopping for a student - may be worth reviewing that and trying to shop somewhere cheaper.

As for the £110 per week spending money, if that does not include accommodation fee, that is loads of money.
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've figured out that I will be living on £160.65 per week at university, but that's if I get a job alongside and work for at least 8 hours a week on minimum wage. If I take away £50 for groceries and what not that's pretty much £110.65 left. I have to live on £110.65 per week for my spending money. I'm not sure if that is doable especially since I'm going to Bristol.

My family cause their strict don't want me moving out, but I figured out I'll be receiving the max loan so therefore all the rent is covered pretty much for the entire year.

Not sure what to do here since I feel like £110 per week is not enough for a student, and if it is I'd have to be quite stingy with it.
Maybe do a part time job now to save up some money?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Agree with the above that £50 a week on groceries is excessive. If I am doing weekly grocery orders I find I struggle to make the £40 minimum spend for Tesco and similar a lot of the time (and I usually don't for this reason). You can definitely easily live on less than £40 a week as a student I think - I used to spend £20-25 a week on groceries when I was a student (at most).

Also £110 per week money you can spend on whatever you want is a lot, especially as a student. Unless you're going out every night buying shots left and right I think you will struggle to spend that much even if you tried (and I would not suggest trying to). You may have some large chunks that need to go out near the start of the year to buy essentials but after that there isn't much you need to regularly spend money on and that's more than enough to spend on yourself generally.

I think you need to re-evaluate how you value money and your expectations in spending it - having c. £500 a month spending money is more than enough not only for students but for a lot of working professionals to be able to comfortably pursue their interests outside of work. Going into things expecting to spend that much money regularly is likely to only facilitate that kind of excessive spending, I think.

I would suggest you aim to save as much of that money as you can so you can have a reasonable chunk of savings when you graduate.

To put things in perspective, your "spending money" is more than my weekly rent was when I lived in Exeter.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
Alisha2005
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
over the summer do as many hours as possible maybe
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Do bear in mind that your student loan eligibility will be based upon your household income and your access to the maximum loans for all three years of your undergrad will require parental cooperation & them agreeing to provide full details of their finances to student finance england.

I spent several years living on a budget of under £29 a week after paying for London accomodation and bills.
Accomodation costs are likely to prove to be your largest single expense, even if you rent a room in a houseshare.
Have you considered differing for a year and working to build up some savings for uni?
Good luck!
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
1. Why are you expecting your parents to support you?
2. Spending £50 a week on food is excessive.
3. £110 a week is more than enough. If that's not the case, you need to reevaluate your spending habits and learn to budget.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Do bear in mind that your student loan eligibility will be based upon your household income and your access to the maximum loans for all three years of your undergrad will require parental cooperation & them agreeing to provide full details of their finances to student finance england.

I spent several years living on a budget of under £29 a week after paying for London accomodation and bills.
Accomodation costs are likely to prove to be your largest single expense, even if you rent a room in a houseshare.
Have you considered differing for a year and working to build up some savings for uni?
Good luck!
I am already on EMA (education maintenance allowance) so therefore my parental income is already uploaded and ready to go. I have a profile setup for it so when I apply I can just use that. I may just try to work before I go Uni
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
3. £110 a week is more than enough. If that's not the case, you need to reevaluate your spending habits and learn to budget.
With the amount of money I have per week, I thought it would be expensive for a place like Bristol. As for my parents, I do kind of expect them to support me for a year (and trust me by support I mean financially in the most minimum way possible) but yeah I might just save money alongside a job. A couple grand or more maybe.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Agree with the above that £50 a week on groceries is excessive. If I am doing weekly grocery orders I find I struggle to make the £40 minimum spend for Tesco and similar a lot of the time (and I usually don't for this reason). You can definitely easily live on less than £40 a week as a student I think - I used to spend £20-25 a week on groceries when I was a student (at most).

Also £110 per week money you can spend on whatever you want is a lot, especially as a student. Unless you're going out every night buying shots left and right I think you will struggle to spend that much even if you tried (and I would not suggest trying to). You may have some large chunks that need to go out near the start of the year to buy essentials but after that there isn't much you need to regularly spend money on and that's more than enough to spend on yourself generally.

I think you need to re-evaluate how you value money and your expectations in spending it - having c. £500 a month spending money is more than enough not only for students but for a lot of working professionals to be able to comfortably pursue their interests outside of work. Going into things expecting to spend that much money regularly is likely to only facilitate that kind of excessive spending, I think.

I would suggest you aim to save as much of that money as you can so you can have a reasonable chunk of savings when you graduate.

To put things in perspective, your "spending money" is more than my weekly rent was when I lived in Exeter.
Bare in mind my spending money is only going to be the case if I get a job and circumstances can change. I would be going out often since I do like the social aspect of university. Best thing is to possibly work my ass of and use that money for the year.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
I think statistically parental support is like one of the highest ways a student comes by including a part time job which is something I was considering. However I don’t wanna be working to a point where it interferes with my studies so hopefully I can sort that out.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago

One of my children is at Bristol and self finances completely even without the maximum loan. They are in a good Hall, go out and are not dieing of hunger,but they don't spend £50/ week on food! Yes they do have a holiday job to make things a bit easier, but with a full maintenance loan this is not strictly necessary, and working throughout term time most definitely won't be. Yes Bristol is more expensive than some northern universities, but there are reasonable self catered halls for between £6.5K and 7.5K so you'd have more than enough left over for all the rest.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I think statistically parental support is like one of the highest ways a student comes by including a part time job which is something I was considering. However I don’t wanna be working to a point where it interferes with my studies so hopefully I can sort that out.
I was able to live on maintenance loans alone and this was in London. You definitely overestimated how much you need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
22.97%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (9)
12.16%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.41%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
13.51%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
21.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
24.32%

Watched Threads