Russell group = Ivy League? Watch

This discussion is closed.
spursj911
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
does the Russell group in the UK compare to the Ivy league in the US?

from an international point of view?
ScholarsInk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by spursj911)
does the Russell group in the UK compare to the Ivy league in the US?

from an international point of view?
In no way whatsoever.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sort of, but wasn't the Ivy League set up as a sports league between the eight universities which comprise it?

The Russell Group is a collaboration, isn't it?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 10 years ago
No, not really.
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not again...
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just like how the Ivy League isn't the collection of the US' best unis, the Russell Group is not a collection of the UK's best unis.

Yes, they may have the better international "reputations"/be better known worldwide. However, in my opinion this is largely down to their size and the fame of the cities they are located in (the major cities of this country).

I don't think any of the UK unis (with the exception of Oxford and Cambridge) can match the "prestige" and recognisability (is that a word?) of the Ivy LEague unis. Are Queens University Belfast, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield etc. are well known abroad as Yale, Brown, Princeton....?
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Definitely not. The Ivy League is far more prestigious. Only the top few (read: Oxford, Cambridge, possibly LSE) can claim to be as well-viewed internationally as Ivy League universities.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Just like how the Ivy League isn't the collection of the US' best unis, the Russell Group is not a collection of the UK's best unis.

Yes, they may have the better international "reputations"/be better known worldwide. However, in my opinion this is largely down to their size and the fame of the cities they are located in (the major cities of this country).

I don't think any of the UK unis (with the exception of Oxford and Cambridge) can match the "prestige" and recognisability (is that a word?) of the Ivy LEague unis. Are Queens University Belfast, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield etc. are well known abroad as Yale, Brown, Princeton....?
Well, UCL might be... :rolleyes:
BetterThanHeaven
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not in a million years.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Sort of, but wasn't the Ivy League set up as a sports league between the eight universities which comprise it?

The Russell Group is a collaboration, isn't it?
Exactly, the Ivy League is an anthetlic union of north eastern universitie (last time I checked, there were strong unis elsewhere in the US). Yes, the Ivy League may be particularly prestigious and well known internationally but that still doesn't make Stanford, Duke, Berkeley etc. inferior.

The Russell Group is a lobbying group/collection of large universities.

They are completely different things and neither represent "the best" unis in their respective countries. To answer the OP, yes (in the minds of the ignorant media) but, outside of that, no.
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It might be, but it's not.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Still not every single Russell Group uni, or even half, that was my point.

Besides, UCL, Imperial and LSE are NOT as well known internationally as many like to make out they are on this forum. Not amongst the general public of foreign countries and certainly not in the same way as the US Ivy League unis are (or most of them).

Go to an average person on the streets of Buenos Aires, Melbourne, Cairo or Johannesberg and far more will be aware of Harvard and Princeton than UCL and LSE.
ScholarsInk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Besides, UCL, Imperial and LSE are NOT as well known internationally as many like to make out they are on this forum. Not amongst the general public of foreign countries and certainly not in the same way as the US Ivy League unis are (or most of them).

Go to an average person on the streets of Buenos Aires, Melbourne, Cairo or Johannesberg and far more will be aware of Harvard and Princeton than UCL and LSE.
Exactly.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
It might be, but it's not.

I still love it to bits though. :love:

It's all about prestige, social elitism and fame with the Ivy League, and Oxbridge to an extent.

This doesn't mean my beloved London institution is in any way inferior.
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
True, but i think LSE would probably be more well known than Cornell or Dartmouth internationally (excl the US). Of course I have no evidence whatsoever to back this up
acsi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wasn't the term Ivy League initially used to describe the universities in terms of sport prestige as opposed to academic.
BadExaminee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Those who are against the notion that Russell Group = Ivy League seems to be bloody arrogant Americans. Most Russell Group unis are internationally highly-regarded and very prestigious, even more so than some of the stupid Ivy League unis.
jabed786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought the russell group was just a group of unis from major cities that got the most government funding so each region of the UK would have good unis with good research rankings.

And the Ivy League was like a sports group of univerisity teams.
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm still a little confused as to what the Russell Group actually is to be honest - some say it is the UK's "best" universities but I've also heard others say that the Russell Group is merely a collection of the universities that receive the most research funding (due to their size and location). Can anyone clear this up?
natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Read this:

1 1 HARVARD University United States
2 2= YALE University United States
3 2= University of CAMBRIDGE United Kingdom
4 2= University of OXFORD United Kingdom
5 7= CALIFORNIA Institute of Technology (Calt... United States
6 5 IMPERIAL College London United Kingdom
7 9 UCL (University College London) United Kingdom
8 7= University of CHICAGO United States
9 10 MASSACHUSETTS Institute of Technology (M... United States
10 11 COLUMBIA University United States
11 14 University of PENNSYLVANIA United States
12 6 PRINCETON University United States
13= 13 DUKE University United States
13= 15 JOHNS HOPKINS University United States
15 20= CORNELL University United States
16 16 AUSTRALIAN National University Australia
17 19 STANFORD University United States
18 38= University of MICHIGAN United States
19 17 University of TOKYO Japan
20 12 MCGILL University
X
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (22)
6.18%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (206)
57.87%
No (128)
35.96%

Watched Threads