Do you have to be rich to study at Kings College London?

Watch
student9876544
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I want to apply to kings but am not sure if it would be the best for me as I feel like it won't give me the traditional uni experience and I'm not sure what my financial situation might be like. The head of my school has also suggest that they don't think it would be a good fit for me, but strongly encouraged my friend to apply (who's family has more money than I do).

I love the course, genuinely think I would enjoy living in London but am not sure how much of a problem money will be, what do others think?
Em1845
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by student9876544)
I want to apply to kings but am not sure if it would be the best for me as I feel like it won't give me the traditional uni experience and I'm not sure what my financial situation might be like. The head of my school has also suggest that they don't think it would be a good fit for me, but strongly encouraged my friend to apply (who's family has more money than I do).

I love the course, genuinely think I would enjoy living in London but am not sure how much of a problem money will be, what do others think?
No?!?? Im from a lower middle class family so definitely not rich. Im a student nurse lol so will never be rich. I do live at home not in residences but I know loads of people at kings and they're definitely not rich. I'm not sure where this idea has come from, yes it's prestigious but they don't only take rich students.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
A uni course will cost £9250 a year on course fees regardless of which UK uni you go to. Then there is accommodation costs on top. You can get a loan for living expenses up to £8k a year. Depending on how much your parents earn the loan can vary.Thus if your parental income is higher than £50k then you can get a £4k loan; the expectation is that your parents will stump up the other £4k. not all parents do. The cost of a flat in London is £800 a month. If you went to somewhere like Manchester or Sheffield uni then the cost of a flat will be closer to £500 a month so you will be saving £300 a month on your living expenses if you go to a uni not based in London.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by student9876544)

Depending on your parents income you can be eligible for bursaries which can help you out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.43%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.18%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.29%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.39%

Watched Threads